Best bang for buck per power

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

mekilljoydammit
Best bang for buck per power

Post by mekilljoydammit »

OK, here's a weird one but to heck with it, I've got a few minutes.

I'm gettting my Stuska one rotor engine dyno up and running in the next couple months and because I'm a lunatic, I'm writing my own DAQ / automatic load control stuff... ok, it's not just that I'm crazy, I have a bunch of weird stuff I want to implement, and I do DAQ stuff on my day job. You could argue this is all false economy but I have less than a thousand bucks into the whole thing so far, and at this point I don't have aspirations of this being my income source, so I'm willing to put up with not being able to pick up a phone and get stuff fixed. Anyway, I'm doing the basic commissioning on some little 4 bangers I have sitting around, and most of the personal stuff I'm doing probably won't be out of the 400hp range, but at some point I'm going to need to test some things at higher load.

For argument's sake, say I want to put a thousand horsepower into it, and leaving aside that the single rotor brake isn't rated to hold it, what's about the cheapest combination to do it? I'm thinking turboed junkyard LS at this point, but intercooling adds its own complications... are there any other realistic alternatives though?
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Re: Best bang for buck per power

Post by SupStk »

I read this twice, first time thinking it was a joke. If you are serious, best bang for the buck is nitrous. The emphasis is on BANG!
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
mekilljoydammit

Post by mekilljoydammit »

I'm not joking, just... before I get too terribly far I want to find limits of the test equipment.

I'm well aware that are at least a couple layers of "not the right way to do things" in this, but I do engine development (not performance stuff or large stuff) for my day job, I know the right way, and I know I don't have the budget for the right way in the near future.
Calypso
Pro
Pro

Post by Calypso »

If it's to test your dyno, the cheapest way is to hook up someone else's proven 1000hp engine to it. :)

The strange situation where the dyno owner is nervous and the engine owner relaxed...