General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Re: Race tek pistons

Post by pdq67 »

Mark,

If you don't mind me asking, just what did you end up doing?

Just wondering and I hope everything works out for you.

I read where you finally got moved.

pdq67
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

Mark O'Neal wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:21 pm
All of them have things I like, all of them have things I don't. All of them keep the rings from falling into the oil pan.
Yeah, in the ring industry we refer to pistons as "ring holders" . . . . . . .
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

pdq67 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:21 pm Mark,

If you don't mind me asking, just what did you end up doing?

Just wondering and I hope everything works out for you.

I read where you finally got moved.

pdq67
The beautiful suburb of San Tan Valley, AZ...because two of my son's live here.

I've been here just long enough to wonder why.
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

KnightEngines wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:52 pm Just an aside - last set I got arrived in 12 days, & I'm in Australia!
They must had had them done within a few days of ordering them for that to happen.
I was getting the in three or four days for a while there. If y'all would stop bugging them, I still would be.
piston guy
Guru
Guru

Post by piston guy »

Mark O'Neal wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:21 pm I use mine...and Ross, and CP, and JE, and Wiseco, and Diamond, and Racetec. Whichever one works with the application and fits the customers budget is fine with me.

All of them have things I like, all of them have things I don't. All of them keep the rings from falling into the oil pan.

Racetec is a good part for a good price. What more can you ask for?

Having said that Tim at Racetec still has a set of Probe's in his SB Ford......:P :P :P
I have 30 year old Arias pistons in my current Ford 331. Pin is in the ring groove and doesn't use oil . LOL
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Without calling Race tec and bugging them. On a blown Alcohol small Chevy I am putting together will they do a thick crown and Dyke top ring on a 4.130 bore?
GURU is only a name.
Adam
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

IMG_2290.JPG
Yes they will. I had thicker crowns added to this 438. Think i ended up near .405 thick.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Here is a piston I had Racetec make me. I dealt with Tim there and he was great to deal with. Gave them all the specs I could and an old Wiseco and told them to make me one "better". They absolutely did.

-Bob
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Work or art really!! Kind to hate to put in!!that crown looks at least .400 on outside edge.
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

piston guy wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:47 pm
Mark O'Neal wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:21 pm I use mine...and Ross, and CP, and JE, and Wiseco, and Diamond, and Racetec. Whichever one works with the application and fits the customers budget is fine with me.

Racetec is a good part for a good price. What more can you ask for?

Having said that Tim at Racetec still has a set of Probe's in his SB Ford......:P :P :P
I have 30 year old Arias pistons in my current Ford 331. Pin is in the ring groove and doesn't use oil . LOL
I just said that because I was talking to Tim and know that Jeremy was looking a tht e thread.
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

af2 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:52 pm Without calling Race tec and bugging them. On a blown Alcohol small Chevy I am putting together will they do a thick crown and Dyke top ring on a 4.130 bore?
I don't see any reason why not......although I haven't cut a Dykes ring groove since I can remember when.
piston guy
Guru
Guru

Post by piston guy »

af2 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:52 pm Without calling Race tec and bugging them. On a blown Alcohol small Chevy I am putting together will they do a thick crown and Dyke top ring on a 4.130 bore?
Adam ,
That's not a problem as long as the compression height allows it. NOT possible on a 4" stroke 6" rod deal, no room. Not possible on a 3.75" x6" either. It would need a 1.200 C/H or more to work "for me" . Call and bug Racetec anytime , help is what it's all about.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Thank you very much... It is looking like a 3.75" and a 5.7 rod then. Heading to Bakersfield this weekend to spectate and dodge rain. We are supposed to dumped on up here.
GURU is only a name.
Adam