Worn spark plugs power loss if there's no misfire?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rfoll
Guru
Guru

Re: Worn spark plugs power loss if there's no misfire?

Post by rfoll »

I have a friend that experienced something similar in a Ford Aerostar. Well over 100K on the plugs, and the straps completely burned off. It was running fine.
So much to do, so little time...
Firedome8
Guru
Guru

Post by Firedome8 »

The Ion sense function can be effected by plug type and mileage.
A good test is worth a thousand opinions.
Smokey
DanE1

Post by DanE1 »

My wife's 6.2 Raptor now has a little over 120,000 miles on the original plugs and I can tell a difference in the sound of the idle. So, I took it for a ride and the engine has a slight pause at tip-in, but then pulls strong but a little flatter.

I could probably remove the plugs, file the electrode flat, file the ground strap flat and back so it just gets over the electrode, and reinstall the 16 plugs. But I probably won't. I'll probably just install 16 new plugs. Might run better with the old plugs set up. At one time I spent a lot of time with a spark plug pressure machine learning how to make a plug continue to spark under more pressure. Oh well..................
barnym17
Guru
Guru

Post by barnym17 »

What I've found with Fords 4.6 with c.o.p ignition is the normally run fine till you go to start it and it simply will not start. We had this quite a bit I have measured gaps at over .250 before they did this.
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

barnym17 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:20 am What I've found with Fords 4.6 with c.o.p ignition is the normally run fine till you go to start it and it simply will not start. We had this quite a bit I have measured gaps at over .250 before they did this.
I have heard some vehicles will fry will fry a dual outlet coil when the gap gets huge... When the GM HEI was new ,ignition trying to fire badly worn plugs could burn up the rotor...
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Yep, what Truck said about burning rotors. Then people blamed the HEI design,when the problem was not a design problem at all, but lack of maintenance...
barnym17
Guru
Guru

Post by barnym17 »

it will eat the plug boots on the 4.6 and sometimes kill coil.