General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

MadBill
Guru
Guru

Re: Carb Drop Base vs Air Cleaner Hgt

Post by MadBill »

Have you tried urethane mounts?
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
69top502

Post by 69top502 »

In an old thread here, it was posted that Braswell had a very high flow drop base assembly. Has anyone used it and know how much of a drop base it is. Curious as I need a drop base and want something very good and need very bit of the 2 inch drop that the L88 base gives.

Bill
69 Corvette, 502 w/ solid roller cam, 653 hp Street/Strip.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

You an buy the "L-88" air cleaner base frm Corvette/GM musclecar parts restorations supply companies like Sherman Assc. or Ecklers etc.
427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart »

I bought my last one from Roush used racing parts. Wanted a lighter weight carbon fiber type that might conduct less heat than steel.
Used the bottom part only. Talk about smooth!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

If you want a snorkel-equipped production version, a '70 Z28 assembly for one has the same base contour: https://www.google.ca/search?q=1970+cam ... 45&bih=863

63qcar

Post by 63qcar »

madbill ... haven`t found anyone who makes the urethane mounts for the FE Sideoiler that will fit an ERA chassis .... I would love to get one and try it .
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

There's always the slightly-slack chain/cable approach; doesn't transmit vibration at cruise but prevents mount lift under high decel.

Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EkpsydS8J ... HutSOu7srE This was interesting on filters and bases.
63qcar

Post by 63qcar »

MadBill , what I did to the PS mtr mount was to run a 7/16 bolt through it with a locknut tightened to leave about 1mm clearance to limit rebound of the mount. The biggest issue , for me , is the compression of the mount and the rubber taking a permant set at the end of the year . Not a huge deal as I can change out a motor mount in about an hour from start to finish ... just would like to eliminate that if I could .
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

BTTT!

FWIW, the old '67 Camaro 6-banger/V-8, "rip a part", motor mounts are as thin as they come so you might try to mount a pair of them under both sides of your engine to gain some hood clearance. These are the rubber mounts that GM sent the recall letter out on and that made them put restraining cables and such on our cars back then. Ultimately GM made locking rubber mounts that CAN'T rip apart! But they are a bit thicker as are the aftermarket poly jobbers are.

I took my stock ones that came on my '67 Camaro and bolted them together after each mount ripped apart. I used short 3/8" dia Grade-8 45 degree head allen-head bolts and bolted both rubber mounts solid so they didn't move. Worked out great.

I have new ones I recently bought from Summit because of hood clearance issues but haven't messed with them yet. And also a stock rubber tranny mount just in case. Suckers are CHEAP and like NOS parts. I have almost all poly on my car now.....

Oh, Just watch your oil pan to frame/sub-frame clearance here is all. Don't want the pan to rub the frame/SF...

pdq67
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

I just remembered, when I put the '69 factory cross-ram system on my '70 Z-28, I had to section the mount to frame adaptors by 3/4" for air cleaner clearance. Apart from having to shift the fan shroud, no issues.

I had a beater with those notorious 'detachable' mounts. Over about half throttle in first, the engine would rear up and pull the throttle wide open. Once it was past the torque peak it would settle back down... #-o

Aukai

Post by Aukai »

This started out with air cleaners. This is just my addition, washable, no oil, low restriction. It may help.

http://www.r2cperformance.com/14-inch-h ... lters.aspx
Mike Lewis street 572
Holley HP EFI
http://www.lewisracingengines.com/

"You know you have the power, and if you use that power bad things are going to happen"
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Put a 66 series K&N X-stream top on that Roush filter base and a good 14" filter element and you will have all the air that little Cobra will ever want or need.
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
Dan Timberlake
Guru
Guru

Post by Dan Timberlake »

15 bucks, with no risk of spilling liquid.
I just ordered this one -
https://www.amazon.com/Dwyer-Minihelic- ... 061&sr=1-6
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Thanks Dan, nice part for a very good price. I am going to mount one on my engine test stand. =D>
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink: