Bad bronze guide liner work

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

jcisworthy
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Bad bronze guide liner work

Post by jcisworthy »

mdabbott2009 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:44 am The bad thing is most kids go to YouTube see this guy saying extra good job and he doesn’t like to take chances!

What then happens they think that’s the actual way it’s post to be done.

Would be nice if some of the good guys would put out short videos showing some of the steps that is actually done correctly.
I am going to post the first of a series of videos in a few weeks covering engine work on a knee mill. .

The series will cover tramming, resurfacing, installing bronze guides, valve jobs using "three angle" tooling , square decking blocks, installing four bolt main caps.

I may do some porting videos in the future.

I have been using my knee mill to do this for a couple years now and have it pretty well worked out.

With some recent upgrades, the time it takes to do a valve job is almost as quick as a floating seat and guide machine.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Check out the Promaxx "factory" tour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7PA3lgF-bs&t=8s :shock: :shock:
-Bob
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

jcisworthy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:40 am
mdabbott2009 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:44 am The bad thing is most kids go to YouTube see this guy saying extra good job and he doesn’t like to take chances!

What then happens they think that’s the actual way it’s post to be done.

Would be nice if some of the good guys would put out short videos showing some of the steps that is actually done correctly.
I am going to post the first of a series of videos in a few weeks covering engine work on a knee mill. .

The series will cover tramming, resurfacing, installing bronze guides, valve jobs using "three angle" tooling , square decking blocks, installing four bolt main caps.

I may do some porting videos in the future.

I have been using my knee mill to do this for a couple years now and have it pretty well worked out.

With some recent upgrades, the time it takes to do a valve job is almost as quick as a floating seat and guide machine.
Honestly, why? I am just curious. Not a dig, or anything, I am just curious why someone would waste the time. Is it "marketing", hoping to get work? Is it you like attention, and want to be the next Jenna Marbles? I mean, she makes several hundred thousands a year doing nothing but youtube videos, she has like 18,000,000 subscribers. Is that why? I just don't get it. There are numerous guys and girls that do just stupid stuff, and spend what has to amount to a full time job, just filming, editing, uploading, answering comments and emails, etc. They usually sell t-shirts, stickers, cook books,hats, whatever. Larry Enticer for example, "Just going to send it" he sells t-shirts faster than he can have them printed. Its crazy

Headbytes used the videos for marketing purposes. That was obvious. If you are sitting there twiddling your thumbs, I could see it. I thought about doing some too, but, said, I have WAAAAAY to much work to get done. Plus on my down time I would rather go snowmobiling, or hang out with friends, or go fishing.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

It can make you money and buy credibility.

Smokey Yunick was obviously a smart guy, but half of his genuis was marketing himself. There were plenty of guys who were more cutting edge and did more for motor sports than he did, but outside of a small handful of people, no one knows who they are.

Using your logic, why even bother with this place?
-Bob
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

hoffman900 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:53 am It can make you money and buy credibility.

Smokey Yunick was obviously a smart guy, but half of his genuis was marketing himself. There were plenty of guys who were more cutting edge and did more for motor sports than he did, but outside of a small handful of people, no one knows who they are.

Good question. Why bother with this place, good question. I don't know. Its certainly not to solicit for work like so many people do on the internet. Its not to stroke my ego. I think that's what some of it is too. I have a buddy that does it, in fact I have ran the camera for him a few times. He can't answer why he does it either. The whole social media thing, is kinda crazy, and has changed our world, and not for the better in my opinion. I think some people simply are addicted to the whole thing. I mean, everywhere you go, people are zombies with their phones, it drives me nutts. Some people just like attention
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

Frankshaft wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:04 am
hoffman900 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:53 am It can make you money and buy credibility.

Good question. Why bother with this place, good question. I don't know. Its certainly not to solicit for work like so many people do on the internet. Its not to stroke my ego. I think that's what some of it is too. I have a buddy that does it, in fact I have ran the camera for him a few times. He can't answer why he does it either. The whole social media thing, is kinda crazy, and has changed our world, and not for the better in my opinion. I think some people simply are addicted to the whole thing. I mean, everywhere you go, people are zombies with their phones, it drives me nutts. Some people just like attention
Humans are socially interactive and like to share. In my case, interact and share something that isn’t so understood by most people in my local area.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

For me, tutoring or explaining something to somebody helped me realize data gaps and made me a better learner.

You think you may know something until you try to regurgitate it, then realize you now have questions about something you were told/read/ experiences and you pursue it even further. When you say it out loud or type it, you have that “wait a minute, something seems off here” moment.

At least, that’s how I see places like this.
-Bob
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

For the record, I am not attacking anyone here for doing the stuff, I am just trying to understand why someone would spend 50+ hours a week doing the YouTube stuff, and working a full time job. I think I get it now. Believe me, as of late, ever since I got a big smart Tv, I have hardly watched regular tv or cable. As soon as my tv links with the wi fi, I am on youtube. lol.
jcisworthy
HotPass
HotPass

Post by jcisworthy »

I am not talking about making it a full time job and I am not looking for praise and glory.

I thought it might be beneficial to those with small shops who cannot afford a number of dedicated machines to see how one knee mill can be used to produce the professional results of multiple machines.

Much less money and floor foot print.

I'M not going to lie, I have developed some tools to do this and I will have a link to my web site if anyone watching the video is interested so it will be advertising as well as instructional.

Not all of us can afford a large shop with many machines but a lot of us can afford a mill, or already have one, so if it can be done efficiently and professionally why not.
BrazilianZ28Camaro
Guru
Guru

Post by BrazilianZ28Camaro »

I couldn't watch the whole video! That burn my eyes!! #-o #-o :-&
'71 Z28 street strip car
Pump gas All motor SBC 427
3308 lbs-29x10.5 Hoosiers
NEW BEST ET
1.38 60' / 4.05 330' / 6.32@111.25mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99p13UK ... ture=share
fordified
Pro
Pro

Post by fordified »

jcisworthy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:17 pm I am not talking about making it a full time job and I am not looking for praise and glory.

I thought it might be beneficial to those with small shops who cannot afford a number of dedicated machines to see how one knee mill can be used to produce the professional results of multiple machines.

I'M not going to lie, I have developed some tools to do this and I will have a link to my web site if anyone watching the video is interested so it will be advertising as well as instructional.

Not all of us can afford a large shop with many machines but a lot of us can afford a mill, or already have one, so if it can be done efficiently and professionally why not.
I'd like to see the video. I have a mill and some other machines but want to buy a vgs20 and a surfacer for my own stuff. I don't do machine work for a living and if a mill can do the same job but slower it may save me some money and space.
4vpc
Pro
Pro

Post by 4vpc »

Some more delights on this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufou8RMAvlo
How not to grind and check valve seats.
There is no S on the end of RPM.
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

jcisworthy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:17 pm I am not talking about making it a full time job and I am not looking for praise and glory.

Like I said, I was curious. But, I was right, lol, there is a marketing plan in there. Which I understand. Its a great way these days.
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

4vpc wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:06 pm Some more delights on this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufou8RMAvlo
How not to grind and check valve seats.
Right, and as mentioned above, 142,000+ views, so, people are obviously interested in that stuff, but, again, I bet 100,000 of those people, actually think that's the way to do it. I am amazed at how many of those types of videos are on there. There is a Harley guy with a bunch of videos, he also makes me cringe. He has a video showing how to hone a cylinder. An aluminum twin cam cylinder by the way, using a bench mounted rod hone with the Sunnen A.N. honing head, no tq plates honing by hand and using an inside mic to measure??? Serious???? I made a comment, where is the Tq plates and dial bore gauge, and I got slammed about not knowing what I am talking about. Twin cam cylinders move a TON. And an inside mic to measure while your honing? Serious? And I don't know what I am talkin about. Ok then, carry on.

Or the countless videos on how to hone a block. #-o . Wow.
jcisworthy
HotPass
HotPass

Post by jcisworthy »

fordified wrote
"I'd like to see the video. I have a mill and some other machines but want to buy a vgs20 and a surfacer for my own stuff. I don't do machine work for a living and if a mill can do the same job but slower it may save me some money and space"

Hang in there fordified it will be 2-3 weeks tops.

It consists of existing products and some things I developed. A digital leveling system that is accurate to .0001" a very rigid rollover fixture that woks with a BHJ block tru, very handy articulating work stands, a relatively quick tool change system, a CBN/PCD fly cutter setup which yields excellent results and more.

It is an efficient, affordable, complete, simplified "turn Key" system for a vertical mill. I made all the mistakes and prototypes etc and you get the fine tuned system.

The videos will clear up any questions on how it all goes together but it is really not difficult. I will give every tip I know to help the end user.