That hurt Fellas. We lost a BIG Friend

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Cashflow

Re: That hurt Fellas. We lost a BIG Friend

Post by Cashflow »

Godspeed to you sir, Godspeed!
vb

Remember: One day with the top down is better than a lifetime in a box!!
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Damn, I remember a article from the 80's or early 90's that was titled Horsepower vs.Torque vs. Durability. They asked three pros how they like to build their engines. Big Joe was horsepower. He said, use a stock block, crank and resized rods, put your effort and $ into the heads! If the bottom blows you will still have the parts that make horsepower. Stock stuff was plenty strong. I would love to find this article and repost it here. Big Joe will be missed no doubt.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

Carnut1 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:37 pm Damn, I remember a article from the 80's or early 90's that was titled Horsepower vs.Torque vs. Durability. They asked three pros how they like to build their engines. Big Joe was horsepower. He said, use a stock block, crank and resized rods, put your effort and $ into the heads! If the bottom blows you will still have the parts that make horsepower. Stock stuff was plenty strong. I would love to find this article and repost it here. Big Joe will be missed no doubt.

I'd love for you to find and post that article. I'd read it.
427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart »

Man what a loss! Very sorry.....
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

RIP Big Joe!!
Jim
fdicrasto
Expert
Expert

Post by fdicrasto »

This truly is a sad day for myself and possibly ALL of us on speed talk. My first priority when on speed talk has always been to hunt for Big Joe's take on any subject I look into. For that matter, even on subjects I have no interest in. As already stated, Joe's straight shooting, no boloney opinions, even when I disagreed, were always a learning experience for me. May his family know that their patriarch was hugely loved and respected and I am sure there will be many, many great memories to both smile about and cry about as they gather to celebrate his promotion to a better place. Phil D.
engineczar
Guru
Guru

Post by engineczar »

Huge loss for the Speedtalk community. Always enjoyed reading what Joe had to say. Godspeed.
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

Very sad....
Last edited by stealth on Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

I was one of his biggest fans. Love to read his posts. He just posted two days ago, so he must have gone fast. I remember reading about his 383 station wagon from the mid 70's. Whenever I would read about some old racer dying, I'd think that at least we still have old Big Joe around. Guess I can't say that anymore.
Joe Facciano
Splitter
Pro
Pro

Post by Splitter »

Carnut1 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:37 pm Damn, I remember a article from the 80's or early 90's that was titled Horsepower vs.Torque vs. Durability. They asked three pros how they like to build their engines. Big Joe was horsepower. He said, use a stock block, crank and resized rods, put your effort and $ into the heads! If the bottom blows you will still have the parts that make horsepower. Stock stuff was plenty strong. I would love to find this article and repost it here. Big Joe will be missed no doubt.
April 1993 Hot Rod

https://www.amazon.com/Magazine-April-1 ... B001EUEUTC

The other builders in that feature were John Lingenfelter and Dick Gazan; both have since passed on. Dick was a Speedtalk member.

RIP Joe.
levisnteeshirt
Guru
Guru

Post by levisnteeshirt »

So sad ,, I read anything he had put in magazines growing up ,, to have interacted with him a time or 2 on here was like a dream come true ,,
induction apprentice
Expert
Expert

Post by induction apprentice »

I also grew up reading magazine articles featuring Joe. I can remember specifically an article where he was testing long collector extensions on a SBC on a dyno. I had a SBC going on the dyno the following week and made extensions exactly as he suggested in the article to try. of course it worked exactly as he suggested. He was a wealth of experience in the engine world and will always be respected.

Rest in peace and continue to build big power during your next journey Big Joe.

RIP..

As a suggestion. Maybe we can all do something to honour this great man in our next engine builds. Like maybe add a little extra lift and duration or carve RIP JOE in the intake port or something to let him know he is loved. IMO it would be a nice gesture if the engine community can come together and we all do something for him in his memory.
Last edited by induction apprentice on Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SS454

Post by SS454 »

In my limited time on Speedtalk forums, it was quick to recognize how much Joe Sherman contributed to this forum, and the entire engine/car community. Sad to hear the news.
Cougar5.0

Post by Cougar5.0 »

Damn, I've read his posts on multiple forums over the years. Shocking to me as I had no idea he had a health issue.
Last edited by Cougar5.0 on Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Sad news indeed! Condolences to family and freinds!!