General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Newold1
Guru
Guru
Re: Assault Racing (KMJ) Import BBC head casting info

Post by Newold1 »

ericnova:

Hey, I was not bashing on you about that YouTube character. I was just trying to get the point across that is not a smart way to get your cylinder head info and suggestions!

As for a shoe string budget I understand your dilemma trying to put you simple 460" BBC together.

That's why I am saying find a decent set of assembled complete aluminum heads that will come pretty much out of the box and bolt on. I know you have access to a flow bench and grinders but I don't think you with your experience you can take the financial risk of making a mistake on your new set of heads!

You should listen to some of us who have been there in the past and done that! Don't do it in your financial situation. Just scrape up about $1200 and buy let's say a set of Flo-Tek 320cc set of complete assembled heads off of Ebay, Jegs, Summit, etc.

These heads will support an easy 500HP -550HP out of the box and don't need a lot of extra work and massaging to do so. Spend your time and money getting the right parts and short block done right!

If you were building a higher power full race ready engine my recommendations would be different.
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

Ericnova wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:27 pm Jesus....I never said the guy does good port work, even pointed out that I don't....
all I was saying was you can get some idea of what that casting features from said videos.

Christ, what a soap opera,.... getting to be like the 'Bullet over here too. Guess I better crawl back under my rock, the "adults" are talking....

Now on every holiday and special gathering you will be relegated to eating at the kiddie table. LOL

I still can't find this guy hacking heads on you tube. I hate the interweb.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
user-17438

Post by user-17438 »

Newold1 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:40 am ericnova:

Hey, I was not bashing on you about that YouTube character. I was just trying to get the point across that is not a smart way to get your cylinder head info and suggestions!

As for a shoe string budget I understand your dilemma trying to put you simple 460" BBC together.

That's why I am saying find a decent set of assembled complete aluminum heads that will come pretty much out of the box and bolt on. I know you have access to a flow bench and grinders but I don't think you with your experience you can take the financial risk of making a mistake on your new set of heads!

You should listen to some of us who have been there in the past and done that! Don't do it in your financial situation. Just scrape up about $1200 and buy let's say a set of Flo-Tek 320cc set of complete assembled heads off of Ebay, Jegs, Summit, etc.

These heads will support an easy 500HP -550HP out of the box and don't need a lot of extra work and massaging to do so. Spend your time and money getting the right parts and short block done right!

If you were building a higher power full race ready engine my recommendations would be different.
To make 500-550hp. Find a set of peanut port heads. People give those away, and you don't need to do more than a bowl blend and a 240@.050 cam
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

Dave Koehler wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:11 pm Here you go. It's quite the trip.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=headbytes

So...is that guy out of business?
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

statsystems wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:51 pm

I sure hope so. Not that he affects my life in anyway, I just hate seeing guys getting mislead
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

His last video was 2 yrs ago so.....
After looking at a couple I determined he had no flow bench.
ProMaxx apparently did his testing for him.
His visit / tour to ProMaxx was enlightening. might be worth a look.
The complaint videos were dumbfounding.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

statsystems wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:51 pm

Yes, he is out of business.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

You should really check out the new Flotek stuff. They have a 290 and 315cc casting that comes out of a permanent steel mold. They also offer a 340cc that is light years ahead of the KMJ type stuff. I was impressed with them and actually bought in WD to fill the budget war heads.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

Dave Koehler wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:51 pm His last video was 2 yrs ago so.....
Watched a video were the guy was "wrestling" with a reamer to install bronze guide liners, that was enough for me! :shock:
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
Kbails

Post by Kbails »

Now on every holiday and special gathering you will be relegated to eating at the kiddie table. LOL

I still can't find this guy hacking heads on you tube. I hate the interweb.
[/quote]
look up procomp porting
Long Island, NY
user-17438

Post by user-17438 »

Keith Morganstein wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:58 pm
Dave Koehler wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:51 pm His last video was 2 yrs ago so.....
Watched a video were the guy was "wrestling" with a reamer to install bronze guide liners, that was enough for me! :shock:
I remember him gasket matching some I think Brad Anderson or Alan Johnson alcohol hemi heads, using a vacuum cleaner and a can of spray paint. . I was like oh my god, this hillbilly in a wooden shed thinks he knows more than BAE, or AJPE whatever they were. Like they left that much on the table to just spray some paint into thwm and start butchering. I felt so bad for the guy that sent him those heads.
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

midnightbluS10 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:49 pm
Frankshaft wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:13 pm
Ericnova wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:45 pm That "HeadBytes" guy who has posted a bunch of porting videos on YouTube has several videos about those heads. I'm not by any means endorsing his work, just letting you know where you can see the casting and you might pick up some info about that casting.
What info could you get from him? He absolutely assaulted those heads, pun intended. Because a guy makes a few videos about a certain head and puts it up on YouTube, that by no means qualifies him. He uses the word butcher hog a lot. That's exactly what he is doing. The video s are worth every penny you paid for them. I can't handle watching those, I do nothing but cringe and shake my head, he is ruining just about every set of heads he touches. 250cc Max ported sbc with a 2.1 intake, with a 30-45-60 valve job with a 96% throat. What are they being ported for? A 10:1 hydraulic roller cammed 383 that is 230-238 at .050 with .529 lift, and a dual plane intake. WOW. OBVIOUSLY has ZERO clue about what to do. The other thing, show some respect for those heads. Has them on end and is sliding them around, banging them all over, scratching and dinging some guys brand new heads. That bugs me
I saw a video just the other day of a guy that I believe posts here, and he was doing the same sort of thing with a new set of AFR heads. It was almost as if he was pissed off that he had to work on them. Slamming tools around, slamming the customers heads around, the entire time talking about how bad they are at whatever point he was highlighting. Had something to do with valve seat runout, I think.
I do post here.......get your facts strait
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.
sjre

Post by sjre »

Not to side track but has anyone tried the Liberty engines generic bbc heads? If so what results.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

vortecpro wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:39 pm
I do post here.......get your facts strait
LOL, I've seen some of Marks videos about valve seat runout. I can say from watching them that "No heads were injured in the filming".

It was careful, well explained work on a VGS20 and measured before and after with a Sunnen (Tobin arp style) runout gauge.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N3jn2ER455Y
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o