Do Cam Designers Expect a Consistent Rocker Ratio across Lift Curve?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BradH
Guru
Guru
Do Cam Designers Expect a Consistent Rocker Ratio across Lift Curve?

Post by BradH »

I'm curious whether cam designers have a working assumption that the rocker ratios being used in their models have consistent ratios across the lift curve. I would think the fact that some rocker arm brands & systems can have regressive ratio curves (higher ratio off the seat, then the ratio drops off as the lift increases) would have an impact on the overlap triangle and area under the curve calculations, as well as modeling flow at different points in the induction & exhaust cycles. Thanks - Brad
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Do Cam Designers Expect a Consistent Rocker Ratio across Lift Curve?

Post by hoffman900 »

The ones that design lobes with OHC rocker arms and finger followers absolutely do as the ratio varies by quite a bit. That’s why the lobes look so much different than say a pushrod or bucket lifter type lobe.

On a pushrod, there is too much variance for off the shelf parts to do it. If you wanted to pay for it, I’m sure they could design lobes for your particular engine with your specific rocker arm. For the most part, what they recommend is close enough and the applications for 99% of their customers don’t need that level of sophistication.
-Bob
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

Where was your lifter on the cam lobe, when you decided what push rod length to use?

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

Stan Weiss wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:52 pm Where was your lifter on the cam lobe, when you decided what push rod length to use?

Stan
It's simpler if I post a link to a thread on another forum that "inspired" my question here: http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubb ... ost2448178

I think you'll be able to see the images, even if you're not a forum member. Thanks - Brad
volodkovich

Post by volodkovich »

A good cam designer does..

Here's the geometry setup on the design program I use.

WhitleyTune - Bespoke Camshaft, Valvetrain & Aluminium casting
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Volodkovich, what program are you using?

Here is the change in rocker ratio on a SOHC rocker set-up I'm dealing with:
-Bob
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

David Vizard has a rocker arm 'chart' in his latest BBC book that shows some large variations in initial ratio & overall ratio for various brands/styles of rocker arms. How does 0.614" valve lift compared to 0.680" valve for the same lobe lift grab ya! Both rockers were supposed to be 1.8 ratio, overall ratios were 1.744 & 1.932
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

As you have moved the rocker arm around and calculated the different ratio changes have you factored in the change in push rod angle?

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

volodkovich wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:08 pm A good cam designer does..
Very few customers have the input data required.
Close to none outside of professional competitors.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

If we are designing proprietary profiles for a customer, we design for the valvetrain geometry.
Our std pushrod type profiles are designed around the lifter motion.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

Stan Weiss wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:40 am As you have moved the rocker arm around and calculated the different ratio changes have you factored in the change in push rod angle?

Stan
Naaah... I was simply playing around with some rocker images in Visio and seeing what changes resulted with different pushrod lengths & adjuster contact geometry.
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

Geoff2 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:39 am David Vizard has a rocker arm 'chart' in his latest BBC book that shows some large variations in initial ratio & overall ratio for various brands/styles of rocker arms. How does 0.614" valve lift compared to 0.680" valve for the same lobe lift grab ya! Both rockers were supposed to be 1.8 ratio, overall ratios were 1.744 & 1.932
I bought a copy of that book recently, but haven't done a "deep dive" into it to have found that info.
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Geoff2 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:39 am David Vizard has a rocker arm 'chart' in his latest BBC book that shows some large variations in initial ratio & overall ratio for various brands/styles of rocker arms. How does 0.614" valve lift compared to 0.680" valve for the same lobe lift grab ya! Both rockers were supposed to be 1.8 ratio, overall ratios were 1.744 & 1.932
On the Y block, Ted Eaton posted an article showing an increase in rocker ratio of .142 just by altering position of the lash adjuster from all the way in to all the way out. And that closest spec was found with the adjuster at about half travel.

http://www.eatonbalancing.com/2007/12/1 ... -pushrods/
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

BradH wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:41 pm I'm curious whether cam designers have a working assumption that the rocker ratios being used in their models have consistent ratios across the lift curve. I would think the fact that some rocker arm brands & systems can have regressive ratio curves (higher ratio off the seat, then the ratio drops off as the lift increases) would have an impact on the overlap triangle and area under the curve calculations, as well as modeling flow at different points in the induction & exhaust cycles. Thanks - Brad
Exactly right Brad! Even some experienced engine builders are surprised at how much difference can be made by utilizing rockers with a faster opening rate althoug it is not as cut and dried as just swapping one for another.

DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

If it's fast off the seat, it's fast coming back on the seat too. From a dynamics standpoint, why would I want that?
-Bob