Coolant loss in new engine combo...

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

redliner
Expert
Expert
Coolant loss in new engine combo...

Post by redliner »

Hi I put together a new sbc engine with an SHP block, new Profiler cnc heads,Cometic MLS head gaskets, felpro intake gsaskets etc. I fired up the new combo and it seems to be losing water. I have drained the oil and it looked new. I inspected the intake valley I can see thru the head/ pushrod ports and can see no water. I pressure check it at 16 lbs. and it loses a couple lbs. of pressure in 3 minutes or so.No drips on floor or anywhere. I suppose it is leaking into my cylinders?????
WTF???
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru
Re: Coolant loss in new engine combo...

Post by rustbucket79 »

Pull all spark plugs, pressurize cooling for a few min, then crank over while watching both banks for coolant from spark plug holes
redliner
Expert
Expert

Post by redliner »

rustbucket79 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:09 pm Pull all spark plugs, pressurize cooling for a few min, then crank over while watching both banks for coolant from spark plug holes
I will!Thanks!
redliner
Expert
Expert

Post by redliner »

rustbucket79 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:09 pm Pull all spark plugs, pressurize cooling for a few min, then crank over while watching both banks for coolant from spark plug holes
I may have been mistaken about the amount of loss. I pumped it up to 17 lbs. Waited 5 minutes, I then removed the plugs and whirred it over. No water at all and the needle moved about a needles width in five minutes.....
redliner
Expert
Expert

Post by redliner »

redliner wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:41 pm
I may have been mistaken about the amount of pessure loss. I pumped it up to 17 lbs. Waited 5 minutes, I then removed the plugs and whirred it over. No water at all and the needle moved about a needles width in five minutes.....
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

Maybe there was an air pocket trapped somewhere in the block or heads that gave you a false level of full. I worked its way out and now it shows low in the radiator. I would make damn sure its losing water for sure before pulling anything apart. Keep an eye on it, its not ending up in the oil pan so I don't believe it will hurt anything by running it more.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

You could try a longer term test. Leave it for hours. Better yet, be sure the system is not full right up to the cap; leave some air space to act as a pressure reservoir. Pump it up and let it sit overnight, then do the cranking test. Also, with the car tilted so the oil pan plug is at the lowest point, drain off a few ounces. If there's any water in the pan, it will be first out.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
redliner
Expert
Expert

Post by redliner »

cgarb wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:14 pm Maybe there was an air pocket trapped somewhere in the block or heads that gave you a false level of full. I worked its way out and now it shows low in the radiator. I would make damn sure its losing water for sure before pulling anything apart. Keep an eye on it, its not ending up in the oil pan so I don't believe it will hurt anything by running it more.
I have not even run enough to get to 180 degrees! I was thinking the same thing but it has lost a quart (guessing). The drain is on the side but I drained enough I thought I would have hit water if any was in there. Thanks!
redliner
Expert
Expert

Post by redliner »

MadBill wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:17 pm You could try a longer term test. Leave it for hours. Better yet, be sure the system is not full right up to the cap; leave some air space to act as a pressure reservoir. Pump it up and let it sit overnight, then do the cranking test. Also, with the car tilted so the oil pan plug is at the lowest point, drain off a few ounces. If there's any water in the pan, it will be first out.
[/ Sounds good! Thanks!
redliner
Expert
Expert

Post by redliner »

Ok.... So.... The last test the guage hardly moved, I did the crank test, good. So now I am confident it aint leakin into my new killer 414! So I open the petcock to the overflow ( for the 5th time) and stick a finish nail up its arse and... VWWWAAAHHHLLLAAA... struck water!!! All is good thanks guys this has been killin me fer a couple hours...