What Have You Learned from Tech?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

77cruiser
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1111
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:32 pm
Location: I Falls MN
Contact:

Re: What Have You Learned from Tech?

Post by 77cruiser » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:11 pm

Krass & Bernie rule though. :D
Jim

Truckedup
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1728
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:41 pm

Re: What Have You Learned from Tech?

Post by Truckedup » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:45 am

All the Hot Rod type magazines taught me I didn't have the money, skill and place to work on a engine and do the stuff they did...I gotta say that Smokey Yunick's book Speed Secrets taught me several things...Don't build beyond your ability, don't be sucked in by expensive "trends" and always do dry mock ups to make sure all the parts are gonna play nice together...
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire

DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2857
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:57 am

Re: What Have You Learned from Tech?

Post by DaveMcLain » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:31 am

Check out some of the older Hot Rod magazines from the early to mid 1960's and you can see an amazing difference in the writing as well as the quality of the information. Back then they didn't have TV shows and other stuff so maybe that's the source of some of the dilution..

thatbikeguy
New Member
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:31 pm

Re: What Have You Learned from Tech?

Post by thatbikeguy » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:56 pm

I learned real stuff from Circle Track & Racing Technology and Super Stock and Drag Illustrated on the car side, and from Kevin Cameron back in his Cycle days in the late 1970s and 1980s in the two-wheeled realm. Kevin Cameron is still delivering the good stuff today at Cycle World, but the rest of that publication wouldn't serve as decent fish wrap.

hoffman900
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:42 pm

Re: What Have You Learned from Tech?

Post by hoffman900 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:04 pm

thatbikeguy wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:56 pm
I learned real stuff from Circle Track & Racing Technology and Super Stock and Drag Illustrated on the car side, and from Kevin Cameron back in his Cycle days in the late 1970s and 1980s in the two-wheeled realm. Kevin Cameron is still delivering the good stuff today at Cycle World, but the rest of that publication wouldn't serve as decent fish wrap.
Kevin Cameron writes the best technical Motorsport op-eds out there. I’ll be bummed out when he finally retires.

I’ve read some good tech in Race Car Engineering, it’s still advertisement heavy though, just higher end clientele.
-Bob

User avatar
MadBill
Guru
Guru
Posts: 13526
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:41 am
Location: The Great White North

Re: What Have You Learned from Tech?

Post by MadBill » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:37 pm

Race Engine Technology is my shiny pricey Tech mag of choice.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.

steve cowan
Expert
Expert
Posts: 599
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:22 am
Location: brisbane AUSTRALIA

Re: What Have You Learned from Tech?

Post by steve cowan » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:04 am

bill,
my friend pete Adema over in LA hooked me up with a two year subscription of RET
magazine just finished going to say it a excellent magazine unfortuntly
90% way over my head
i actually started surfing through speedtalk from page 695 heading towards 1
i will let you guys know how i go in 20 years or so :lol:
steve c

User avatar
MadBill
Guru
Guru
Posts: 13526
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:41 am
Location: The Great White North

Re: What Have You Learned from Tech?

Post by MadBill » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:45 am

Keeps us humble though Steve, getting glimpses of all this arcane stuff one hadn't previously had a clue about.. #-o

Keep us posted with gems from your S/T archival dives!
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.

n2xlr8n
Expert
Expert
Posts: 523
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:01 pm
Location: Bama

Re: What Have You Learned from Tech?

Post by n2xlr8n » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:57 am

The beginning of wisdom for me was my first car, a 71 Pinto :lol:

Then came the PHR and HR mags.

I learned early on that if I wanted to be "fast" (relatively speaking), the best route was to keep my mouth shut and hang around the guys that were already there.

Much later, I joined ST and read everything I came across. It's responsible for the remaining 50% of my gearhead education.
He who is in me is greater than he who is in the world.

thatbikeguy
New Member
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:31 pm

Re: What Have You Learned from Tech?

Post by thatbikeguy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:44 am

hoffman900 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:04 pm
Kevin Cameron writes the best technical Motorsport op-eds out there. I’ll be bummed out when he finally retires.
Being a moto guy, he's been my best source of no BS tech for decades. I too will feel a great loss when he calls it quits. I have seen a huge change in Kevin's physical appearance in the time that I have been following him. None of us are getting any younger.
hoffman900 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:04 pm
I’ve read some good tech in Race Car Engineering, it’s still advertisement heavy though, just higher end clientele.
I'll have to check out Race Car Engineering.

Thanks for the tip, Bob.
MadBill wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:37 pm
Race Engine Technology is my shiny pricey Tech mag of choice.
I will have to check out Race Engine Technology as well. I have gotten some really good tech from https://www.f1technical.net
as motorcycle engine tech is becoming all too similar to F1. MotoGP now has pneumatic engine valve control as well as other arcane bits introduced in F1. Unfortunately, F1 Technical is down quite frequently of late.

Thanks for the heads-up, Bill.

turdwilly
Pro
Pro
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:09 am

Re: What Have You Learned from Tech?

Post by turdwilly » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:44 am

cuisinartvette wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:17 pm
MTENGINES wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:53 am
I do think the magazine articles kept me thinking and in suspense though. I was thrilled when I'd be each car craft or superchevy
Same here, had subscriptions since I was old enough to wash the neighbors lawn and subscribe knowing it would be many yrs til I could have a car.
As the yrs went by the mags got skinnier, more ads then cancelled.

Learned here? Tons.
Is that a thing? :lol:

Truckedup
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1728
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:41 pm

Re: What Have You Learned from Tech?

Post by Truckedup » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:01 pm

hoffman900 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:04 pm
thatbikeguy wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:56 pm
I learned real stuff from Circle Track & Racing Technology and Super Stock and Drag Illustrated on the car side, and from Kevin Cameron back in his Cycle days in the late 1970s and 1980s in the two-wheeled realm. Kevin Cameron is still delivering the good stuff today at Cycle World, but the rest of that publication wouldn't serve as decent fish wrap.
Kevin Cameron writes the best technical Motorsport op-eds out there. I’ll be bummed out when he finally retires.
Cameron also writes articles that can be understood....Gordon Jennings was/is good...Also have to include Cook Neilson and Allan Girdler for their insight...
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire

hoffman900
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:42 pm

Re: What Have You Learned from Tech?

Post by hoffman900 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:25 pm

Truckedup wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:01 pm
hoffman900 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:04 pm
thatbikeguy wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:56 pm
I learned real stuff from Circle Track & Racing Technology and Super Stock and Drag Illustrated on the car side, and from Kevin Cameron back in his Cycle days in the late 1970s and 1980s in the two-wheeled realm. Kevin Cameron is still delivering the good stuff today at Cycle World, but the rest of that publication wouldn't serve as decent fish wrap.
Kevin Cameron writes the best technical Motorsport op-eds out there. I’ll be bummed out when he finally retires.
Cameron also writes articles that can be understood....Gordon Jennings was/is good...Also have to include Cook Neilson and Allan Girdler for their insight...
Being a millennial, my appreciation for tech articles is less than two decades. Jennings was before my time, but I have really liked what he has written. Albeit dated, they are way more interesting than most magazine articles.

RET is great when I get a copy.
-Bob

Truckedup
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1728
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:41 pm

Re: What Have You Learned from Tech?

Post by Truckedup » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:43 pm

hoffman900 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:25 pm

Being a millennial, my appreciation for tech articles is less than two decades. Jennings was before my time, but I have really liked what he has written. Albeit dated, they are way more interesting than most magazine articles.

RET is great when I get a copy.
All the millennial gear heads I know have modified Diesel pu trucks...Some of them are scary fast like accelerating 6500 pounds through the 1/4 in 12-13 seconds. :D
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire

hoffman900
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:42 pm

Re: What Have You Learned from Tech?

Post by hoffman900 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:45 pm

Truckedup wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:43 pm
hoffman900 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:25 pm

Being a millennial, my appreciation for tech articles is less than two decades. Jennings was before my time, but I have really liked what he has written. Albeit dated, they are way more interesting than most magazine articles.

RET is great when I get a copy.
All the millennial gear heads I know have modified Diesel pu trucks...Some of them are scary fast like accelerating 6500 pounds through the 1/4 in 12-13 seconds. :D
The ones I know with them do that with their dd work trucks. That’s a problem when they break them during the weekend. D’oh.

Most of my millennial friends are into dirt bikes (if they’re into motor sports at all). They’re orders of magnitude cheaper than cars and are just barreelly still affordable enough fhat you can play with them while still paying off your student loans.
-Bob

Post Reply