Would you rather?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

The Badger

Would you rather?

Post by The Badger »

So brought up a hypothetical question to some of my engine builder friends and no one could really make a good guess so figured get the boards guesses.

This is assuming that there is no restrictions anywhere else in engine design. Also saying that mid lift and everything else would be inline with top flow

What would be better?

A 185cc head flowing 270 at .600 and good flow thru out comparative with top flow with a way more agresive camshaft (ramp rate).

A 205cc head flowing 300 at .600 but with a more mild camshaft.

Someone was going on about lighter valves in smaller cc heads due to less diameter and got me on this question.
randy331
Guru
Guru

Re: Would you rather?

Post by randy331 »

The Badger wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:02 pm What would be better?
The combination that makes the most average power on the dyno.

Randy
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

The one whose minimum port CSA best matched the RPM range that other major components trended towards.

But in general, better the right port size with the right cam than a smaller port crutched with a big cam.
Last edited by MadBill on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

The one with the biggest intake valve :D
Casper393W
Pro
Pro

Post by Casper393W »

What CI is this Hypothetical engine?
The Badger

Post by The Badger »

Lets say it has 363 ci.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

Carb or port FI?
Roller or flat tappet?
Street or race?
The Badger

Post by The Badger »

modok wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:48 pm Carb or port FI?
Roller or flat tappet?
Street or race?
Lets say carb. To give the smaller head a chance I say lets go with roller. And ideas with both street and race?
The Badger

Post by The Badger »

But wait. If I remember reading up on flat vs roller on here the roller doesn't start to help much until after .600. So speedtalkers choice! :D
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

Required rpm range?
Required peak HP rpm?
Required over-rev?

Application?
Stall speed?
Diff gears?

Question is too vauge, what I'd choose for a road race engine running in the 3500-6500rpm range with a manual trans is quite a lot different to what I'd choose for a drag engine turning 8000rpm through the traps with a 5000 converter...........
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

The Badger wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:52 pm
modok wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:48 pm Carb or port FI?
Roller or flat tappet?
Street or race?
Lets say carb. To give the smaller head a chance I say lets go with roller. And ideas with both street and race?
HA! Tough call then. I was thinking....carb, then we have wet flow, and more concern to keep the velocity up in the runners.

Port FI and roller cam then I'd say the bigger head wins, with carburetor....I don't know, it would be down into the specifics, like the valve job, which might be different to optimize each.

A bigger valve has bigger low lift flow, bigger runner moves the peak torque up, both meaning you almost HAVE TO shorten the duration, and open and close the valve more rapidly to make the powerband the same. If you can, you gained overall, if you can't....then you just moved the powerband UP, is all.

Maybe with a steep valve job and a radical cam you can make a small valve do the job of a larger one and gin overall, but that doesen't tell you what port size to run.

So....can of worms opened, good luck. :P
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

The Badger wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:02 pm So brought up a hypothetical question to some of my engine builder friends and no one could really make a good guess so figured get the boards guesses.

This is assuming that there is no restrictions anywhere else in engine design. Also saying that mid lift and everything else would be inline with top flow

What would be better?

A 185cc head flowing 270 at .600 and good flow thru out comparative with top flow with a way more agresive camshaft (ramp rate).

A 205cc head flowing 300 at .600 but with a more mild camshaft.

Someone was going on about lighter valves in smaller cc heads due to less diameter and got me on this question.
Food for thought, the 205cc head has likely very similar velocity, and, quite possibly more, which will wash the difference in port volume, and the engine will likely make more power everywhere, depending on the application of course. We need those details. But as a dynamics standpoint, the difference in cross section, which if these are similar heads, just one is bigger by 20cc, the extra air flow makes up for the bigger area, and the velocity is the same, or more. In that port size range, from my testing, I would choose the 205cc head, even for a smaller lower rpm engine, within reason. The only advantage the smaller head will have, will likely be below the tq converter stall speed.