General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

statsystems
Guru
Guru
Re: Dry sump oil viscosity

Post by statsystems »

Warp Speed wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:09 pm
Newold1 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:43 pm Seen this done with good success.

Take the tank and have a 1" NPT bung welded in the bottom first few inch side wall and a 1/2" NPT bung welded a few inches down from your running oil level. Then purchase a 12 volt -300 watt fluid immersion heater (1" NPT) from Dermond for about $25 on Amazon and purchase a bulb type adjustable thermostat 1/2" NPT threaded from Stemco.

Wire the pieces with #10 or #8 wire (25amps) and set the thermostat to keep the oil at about 150- 160 degrees with engine off. This should keep your oil temps at a sweet spot until your ready to blast.
Back in the 90s, when we were running lard for oil, temp was such a big deal, I had 6 500w probe heaters in our oil tank. That way, if we got "delayed" in the tech line, proper oil temp could still be reached for qualifying. It would take 3 gallons in the dry sump tank from 100* to 400* in 10 minutes! Lol

Lard for oil. CLASSIC. I can't imagine what it was like in the 70's and 80's!
The Radius Kid
Expert
Expert

Post by The Radius Kid »

statsystems wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:47 pm
Newold1 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:43 pm Seen this done with good success.

Take the tank and have a 1" NPT bung welded in the bottom first few inch side wall and a 1/2" NPT bung welded a few inches down from your running oil level. Then purchase a 12 volt -300 watt fluid immersion heater (1" NPT) from Dermond for about $25 on Amazon and purchase a bulb type adjustable thermostat 1/2" NPT threaded from Stemco.

Wire the pieces with #10 or #8 wire (25amps) and set the thermostat to keep the oil at about 150- 160 degrees with engine off. This should keep your oil temps at a sweet spot until your ready to blast.
Back in the 90s, when we were running lard for oil, temp was such a big deal, I had 6 500w probe heaters in our oil tank. That way, if we got "delayed" in the tech line, proper oil temp could still be reached for qualifying. It would take 3 gallons in the dry sump tank from 100* to 400* in 10 minutes! Lol

Lard for oil. CLASSIC. I can't imagine what it was like in the 70's and 80's!

Had to be a well funded team.
The Nazis didn't lose WWII,they just changed uniforms.Now they run the place.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Warp Speed wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:40 pm
hoffman900 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:23 pm
hoffman900 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:41 am

Not a drag racer here, but why not use a heater, higher viscosity oil, and just make the process more repeatable?
Fixed a typo
I thought you nailed it the first time! Lol
Lol. I see your point. :lol: :wink:
-Bob
user-17438

Post by user-17438 »

The smells on pit road during qualifying. Boiling oil from the 2000 watt dry sump heaters. Haha.
RCJ
Expert
Expert

Post by RCJ »

I installed a single wrap around style (120volt) on my 4 gallon tank.I plug it in at least 1 hour before I race to get the temp to 130.I was on the dyno once and forgot to unplug it and left it on all night.It was 150 the next morning.We are all accustomed to discussing oils by weights ,but I think centistokes will give better information.
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

RCJ wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:12 am We are all accustomed to discussing oils by weights ,but I think centistokes will give better information.
Very true!
And most modern racing oils have a fairly flat centistoke rating throughout their design temp range.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

In the engines we are using and discussing it seems the Kinematic viscosity is the major type we are dealing with and is the resistance to flow from being forced through an engine versus flowing just from gravity as in Dynamic viscosity. So this Kinematic viscosity should be expressed in centipoises , cTp not centistokes, cTs. Am I mistaken here or just confused.
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Newold1 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:13 pm In the engines we are using and discussing it seems the Kinematic viscosity is the major type we are dealing with and is the resistance to flow from being forced through an engine versus flowing just from gravity as in Dynamic viscosity. So this Kinematic viscosity should be expressed in centipoises , cTp not centistokes, cTs. Am I mistaken here or just confused.
My knowledge of viscosity is in centipoise as that's what's use in drilling mud and slurry walls for geotechnical applications.

Centipoise = centistoke * specific gravity
-Bob
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

Dynamic viscosity (cP) / Specific gravity = Kinematic viscosity (cSt)

The more reliable metric is cSt since oil viscosity may change at the same density. Air aeration will have an
extreme effect on oil viscosity measured in cSt.

The Sommerfield number is often used by lubrication engineers to predict which oil should be used.
The necessary inputs for the calculation are:
Bearing clearance
Bearing length
Bearing load
Bearing speed
Oil temp
Oil viscosity
Oil specific gravity
Oil pressure

The equation is used to determine the minimum viscosity that can be used without inducing accelerated wear.
It can also be used to determine the limits of any other variable such as speed, load, clearance, etc.

It soon becomes clear that various parts of an engine will have different lubrication requirements.