General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Dragsinger
Expert
Expert
open exhaust "tailpipes" or long collector extensions

Post by Dragsinger »

Racers,

As I race into my "mature" years noise is more bothersome to me than in my younger years. In addition, methanol fumes have become troublesome to me.

With the 1987 Buick Regal I have under construction it will have exhaust exits well behind the driver. The engine package is SBC, 413 CI, about 720 horse on Methanol. The Lemon headers are 1 3/4 x 1 7/8 x 3 1/2 collector.

I am considering a design similar to NASCAR where the tailpipes side exit behind the driver. Possibly build with oval tubing to help ground clearance.

Question; what is a guideline to build these tailpipes yet not be a restriction, not cost any power, maybe even enhance power?
Larry Woodfin - Team Woodfin Racing - Owner, Woodfin Automotive
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Re: open exhaust "tailpipes" or long collector extensions

Post by MadBill »

According to the excellent (and inexpensive) PipeMax program from SpeedTalker Larry Meaux, there are several engine and application-specific tailpipe lengths, e.g. 16" and 64" might be best/better/good, but 24 & 48" would be bad. 3.5" sounds just right for the collectors, but 3" is more than enough for the tailpipes.

You didn't actually say it will be muffled, but assuming so, the 'tune' ends at the muffler but the tailpipe length can have hard-to-predict effects on resonance. You might want to dump out the passenger side JIC.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
emsvitil
Pro
Pro
Re: open exhaust "tailpipes" or long collector extensions

Post by emsvitil »

Use termination box(es) after the appropriate length of collector.

Any pipe after the box shouldn't have an affect.
Ed