SBC head gasket.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

cgarb
Guru
Guru

SBC head gasket.

Post by cgarb »

Got a very mild race engine I'm doing for a friend just starting out in brackets. .060 over 350 with Smogger heads that were ported pretty well for what they are. The heads have been milled a bunch and CC at 69cc, the engine has the TRW small forged pop up pistons. Block has been decked to .005" piston to deck clearance. With a standard head gasket in a felpro gasket set it lists them with a 4.080" bore and .039" compressed. That would put my compression as I calculate it as 10.7-1 roughly. Probably will just need a little race gas, not the issue...My question is will the standard Fel-Pro head gaskets be ok in this application? I ran standard victor reintz gaskets on my buick with 11-1 compression and they were fine. Just asking if anyone has used this before without trouble. I have these gaskets in my currently and if I jump up to a performance felpro the bore opens to 4.166 and the compressed thickness to .041. Would loose a little squeeze and cost more. Trying to use what we have if that wont be an issue.
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Re: SBC head gasket.

Post by bigjoe1 »

Just use the regular gasket ( 4.080 ) NO PROBLEM

JOE SHERMAN RACING
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

agree, use the regular one. ive run similar engines with a small shot of nitrous on them cheapy fel-pro's.
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

Sweet...thank you.
tresi
Pro
Pro

Post by tresi »

I've ran the cheappy Fel pro on 12-1 engines, granted they weren't state of the art engines but they were low 11 sec 3000 lb cars.
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

If this one makes it in the 11's the owner and I will be happy.