General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Firedome8
Guru
Guru

Re: Quadrajet vs. 4412

Post by Firedome8 »

tresi wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:46 pm
Walter R. Malik wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:50 pm It seems that a 4412 is allowed for those who haven't got the knowledge to tune a Q-Jet because there is really no contest here, unless it is merely for a totally stock engine which won't benefit much from a lot larger carb.
I'm going agree with you on this. The 4412 is going to be much easier for the novice to tune and be easier to find parts.
Qjet,,,,,get it tuned to your application and go. The advantages are more power and control. Some delay the secondary by the linkage and others prefer a seemless secondary action I have seen championships won in either configuration
A good test is worth a thousand opinions.
Smokey
Ks Fats
Pro
Pro

Post by Ks Fats »

"@ks fats do i know you?" Not sure; but if you're racing at Salina Oklahoma, Belleville or Salina ks I've got years of experience at all three. I'm assuming you are at Salina Ok so my advice would be to get the chassis right, concentrate on lap to lap consistency, put the q-jet on and race it. As a driver you are responsible for the consistency but you can't do it if the chassis and carb aren't right; if you have to pay someone to give you a good baseline on either of those two then do it, it will shorten the learning curve considerably.
Blackandblue3

Post by Blackandblue3 »

Ks Fats wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:06 pm "@ks fats do i know you?" Not sure; but if you're racing at Salina Oklahoma, Belleville or Salina ks I've got years of experience at all three. I'm assuming you are at Salina Ok so my advice would be to get the chassis right, concentrate on lap to lap consistency, put the q-jet on and race it. As a driver you are responsible for the consistency but you can't do it if the chassis and carb aren't right; if you have to pay someone to give you a good baseline on either of those two then do it, it will shorten the learning curve considerably.
I race in new york. Banked 1/4 mile
Ks Fats
Pro
Pro

Post by Ks Fats »

Somehow I read "Salina Highbanks" into it; might have been a different thread. The advice is still relevant; I'm in my 46th year racing on dirt and I hate to see young guys quit the sport after a few years because they become frustrated. Expense & lack of success are the two big causes; both of those are manageable if you start out on the right foot.
Blackandblue3

Post by Blackandblue3 »

Ks Fats wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:01 am Somehow I read "Salina Highbanks" into it; might have been a different thread. The advice is still relevant; I'm in my 46th year racing on dirt and I hate to see young guys quit the sport after a few years because they become frustrated. Expense & lack of success are the two big causes; both of those are manageable if you start out on the right foot.
Any expirience on asphalt?
Ks Fats
Pro
Pro

Post by Ks Fats »

Only in a straight line before I discovered you could actually get paid for racing in a circle; most tracks around here are dirt. One of the local tacks went from dirt to asphalt and back to dirt in maybe the course of three to four seasons; it didn't attract the crowds they expected. Most of the asphalt tracks are in the upper Midwest.
raynorshine
Expert
Expert

Post by raynorshine »

tresi wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:46 pm
Walter R. Malik wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:50 pm It seems that a 4412 is allowed for those who haven't got the knowledge to tune a Q-Jet because there is really no contest here, unless it is merely for a totally stock engine which won't benefit much from a lot larger carb.
I'm going agree with you on this. The 4412 is going to be much easier for the novice to tune and be easier to find parts.
totally agree with the Q-jet recommendation....no contest :notworthy:
Use it up
Wear it out
Eat it all!

-the greatest..."Dale Armstrong"
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

A qjet flows twice the air at the same pressure drop as a holley 500 2bbl does. (750 vs 353 cfm @1.5")

If cast 4bbl intake rule use the gm (mercruiser) marine hirise cast 4 bbl intake. Looks a lot like a holley dominator /gm Z28 hirise but is cast and has a qjet flange.
It is a powerfull hi rise dual plane design.

Get a early pre 1975 4mv style qjet. Easier to tune.
5 psi on the fuel pump. Hi perf .135 needle seat.
90% of the jetting tuning is all done by the sec metering rod and hanger choice and sec air door open rate adj.
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

I know this thread is old, but...

There are two Q-jets with respect to flow, a 750 and an 800 cfm. The bigger one has a bigger primary venturi that is easily recognized as it has a bump on it. The 750's have round venturis. Also, the rated airflow will only happen if the secondary air valve opens to 90 deg (or thereabouts). The stop tang can be cut to allow the air valve to open all the way, but the metering rods will probably need to be changed.

Q-jet is hands down better than the 4412. Whether you need more power or not is up to you.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

The rules around here allow a single plane manifold with the 4412 and a Q-Jet must use a 2 plane, 180 degree manifold.

IF the manifold rules are equal then a well tuned Q-Jet is the better.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Post by racear2865 »

Find a early model Cadillac with a 500 CI engine and get that carb. Best to work with. I dont care how easy the 4412 will be to learn with and drive, some one with a Quad will bust you arse. If you dont think their faster look at a Stock Eliminator NHRA BBC or SBC and watch one run. They will embarrass you when they yank the wheels about 4 ft in the air. Ask me how I know? Send the carb off to some one who knows what to do with the carb. Youll be weeks ahead and money ahead. Just saying
reed