Assembly lube roller cam lobes

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Mark Williams
Assembly lube roller cam lobes

Post by Mark Williams »

Shall I put some assembly lube on the lobes of a roller camshaft or is oil enough?
If assembly lube what Do you recomend? Comp cams red lube ok?
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: Assembly lube roller cam lobes

Post by ProPower engines »

I only use the Isky Rev-Lube/cam lube. You know the black stuff on both cast and billet cams. Lube the roller wheels as well.
No issues to date.
I prefer something that will not run off and stay put while the 1st cranking is done
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
blykins
Guru
Guru

Post by blykins »

Oh roller cams, I just use oil.
Lykins Motorsports
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
Custom Ford Windsor, Cleveland, and FE Street/Race Engines
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Last time I used the Permatex Ultra Slick assembly lube with no issues. Extremely sticky and stringy, like Lucas oil stabilizer. I've known people to use a mix of Lucas and oil, also. Not sure how well that combo works, though.

I think the head shop used lubriplate. I only used the Ultra Slick because I was assembling it right then. Had it been anything that was going to sit, I would have used something like comp's assembly lube. Something that stays put and won't run off after time, like the Ultra Slick stuff looks like it would.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

I always make sure to get all of the assembly grease out of the roller lifter bearings then I put the lifters upright in a can, pour in some 30wt oil and let them soak while I"m doing other things on the engine.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

The instructions with my Isky bushed lifters read in bold face DO NOT wash out factory lube...
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

MadBill wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:51 pm The instructions with my Isky bushed lifters read in bold face DO NOT wash out factory lube...
I don't care what they say. Having grease inside of a bearing that doesn't melt into the oil can can block the flow of oil isn't cool, wash it out. Unless maybe its different when you don't have needle bearings?
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

My new Lunati needle bearing solid roller litter instructions also stated NOT to wash the assembly lube out of the bearings.
turdwilly
Pro
Pro

Post by turdwilly »

DaveMcLain wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:53 pm
MadBill wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:51 pm The instructions with my Isky bushed lifters read in bold face DO NOT wash out factory lube...
I don't care what they say. Having grease inside of a bearing that doesn't melt into the oil can can block the flow of oil isn't cool, wash it out. Unless maybe its different when you don't have needle bearings?
Crower say the same on their EnduraMax bushing lifters - do not clean. My SWAG is that they use a special break-in lubricant for the bushing material??
tresi
Pro
Pro

Post by tresi »

Just lubriplate
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

Roller lifters are very forgiving, as far as assembly lube is concerned because friction is minimal compared to flat-faced lifters. I use a good quality engine assembly lube on the cam lobes and lifter wheels. NOT Lubriplate though.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

Engine assy lube mixed 50/50 with engine oil. Just on the cam lobes and a little on the roller wheels. I don’t soak the lifters in it.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Lubriplate was the ticket 50 years ago... now that we know it won't mix with oil I no longer trust it.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
user-17438

Post by user-17438 »

If i think its going to sit a long time before start ill brush on a thin coat of joe gibbs. Just to prevent rust.
roc
Expert
Expert

Post by roc »

Krooser wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:50 pm Lubriplate was the ticket 50 years ago... now that we know it won't mix with oil I no longer trust it.
Krooser, are you sure about that? I know at least one Diesel engine manufacturer that uses Lubriplate on the engine assembly line, and recommends it on service literature.