General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: Assembly lube roller cam lobes

Post by ProPower engines »

roc wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:51 pm
Krooser wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:50 pm Lubriplate was the ticket 50 years ago... now that we know it won't mix with oil I no longer trust it.
Krooser, are you sure about that? I know at least one Diesel engine manufacturer that uses Lubriplate on the engine assembly line, and recommends it on service literature.
How old in the literature??
There is a similar white grease that is mistaken for the lubriplate but I know for sure that id does not blend with oil and it can also plug oil filters.
Seen an engine a customer bought on line last summer that had lubriplate used on everything and IT plugged the filter solid and melted the bearings on a marine engine with a hyd. roller cam.
t
The filter weighted 7lbs. When removed it felt so heavy I weighted it to see but that stuff will noy pass through a filter if there is alot used during assembly.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

roc wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:51 pm
Krooser wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:50 pm Lubriplate was the ticket 50 years ago... now that we know it won't mix with oil I no longer trust it.
Krooser, are you sure about that? I know at least one Diesel engine manufacturer that uses Lubriplate on the engine assembly line, and recommends it on service literature.
There is a very light lubriplate that comes in a tube. It's a white oily consistency. A major diesel OEM does sell it as assembly lube, but you won't find it's use in the engine repair manual. Some do techs use it for engine assy on bearings and such.
In a Diesel engine with 10 or more gallons in the sump and a one gallon filter, a little oily lubriplate isn't going to hurt anything.

What you will find in the manual for roller lifters and other components is mixing engine assy lube (they sell the green stuff like clevite) 50/50 with oil.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
rp930
Pro
Pro

Post by rp930 »

Morel says not to wash with solvent and to use 10W30 oil.
autogear
Vendor

Post by autogear »

I've used Lubriplate 105 in the past, with no problems. Now I certainly don't build high powered engines by any stretch, but I've never used enough L105 to get me a 7-pound oil filter. Their product sheet for L105 specifically states several times "...a light coating" using a brush or sprayed on. I followed the directions and never had a problem. YMMV of course.
The 105 motor assembly lube is lightweight, oily and white in color.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

All our Bushing and "Steel-on-Steel" roller lifters come with instructions that read.
Prior to installation, submerge the lifters in non-synthetic motor oil for at least 20 minutes.
Install lifters in engine, and prime oil system, before starting engine.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
bentvalves
Expert
Expert

Post by bentvalves »

nobody has mentioned CRC sta-lube engine assembly lube.

the black grease stuff with moly graphite...
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

After thinking about this thread I went to summits online catalog and searched for "assembly lubes".... Holy crap on a cracker!
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

Lubriplate tends to dry out and harden over time. Often times you will find little round balls of Lubriplate in the oil, that's why I don't use it on engines, transmissions, differentials, etc. It does seem to work well on fishing reels and garage door openers though . . . . . . . .
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
tresi
Pro
Pro

Post by tresi »

autogear wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:20 am I've used Lubriplate 105 in the past, with no problems. Now I certainly don't build high powered engines by any stretch, but I've never used enough L105 to get me a 7-pound oil filter. Their product sheet for L105 specifically states several times "...a light coating" using a brush or sprayed on. I followed the directions and never had a problem. YMMV of course.
The 105 motor assembly lube is lightweight, oily and white in color.
There is what, a pound of Lubriplate in a whole tube maybe a pound and half. Who in hell would use 7 tubes assembling a motor.
202ci EH

Post by 202ci EH »

I've always cleaned the lifters and grease from the axles in spirits, then soak them in mineral oil for a half hour.
Amazing how much glitter comes out of the cheaper lifters, especially oe replacement LS lifters.

But..... I don't do anything with huge spring pressure.
Momus
Pro
Pro

Post by Momus »

A bit of diff oil on the cam.
MELWAY
Guru
Guru

Post by MELWAY »

Momus wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:10 am A bit of diff oil on the cam.
Yep. If I run out of Torco red MPz. 50/50 mix of diff oil and Lucas oil stabiliser makes a good assembly lube for bearings and valve guides
3370lb Sedan 9.89@136MPH 358chevN/A
roc
Expert
Expert

Post by roc »

Why just plain motor oil isn't appropriate to lube roller cam lobes on engine assembly?

There's no sliding motion there.

Would someone please enlighten me?
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

roc wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:56 pm Why just plain motor oil isn't appropriate to lube roller cam lobes on engine assembly?

Just because the motor oil won't stay on the parts very long, and it may be a while until you break the engine in.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
roc
Expert
Expert

Post by roc »

CamKing wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:10 am
roc wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:56 pm Why just plain motor oil isn't appropriate to lube roller cam lobes on engine assembly?

Just because the motor oil won't stay on the parts very long, and it may be a while until you break the engine in.
Got it, thanks Mike!