351 block cylinder cut

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

1972ho
Guru
Guru
351 block cylinder cut

Post by 1972ho »

This is 4.030 bore cylinder that has .200 to .150 thickness thrust side look runnable between the bores almost no room for hard block.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: 351 block cylinder cut

Post by ProPower engines »

If you are doing a part fill you can use a torque plate and gasket with the block perfectly level in all directions and pump up the cooling system with air pressure of about 25-40 lbs for a hour or so to force the hard block filler down away from the top into all the small/tight areas.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

If you carefully vibrate the block properly mixed filler will flow all around and in between the cylinders, no problem. I use a blunt 1 inch diameter tool in an air hammer turned all the way down to rattle the block. Vibrate not ventilate!
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

DaveMcLain wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:28 am If you carefully vibrate the block properly mixed filler will flow all around and in between the cylinders, no problem. I use a blunt 1 inch diameter tool in an air hammer turned all the way down to rattle the block. Vibrate not ventilate!
YES ... just mix it a tiny bit wetter with the coldest water you have.
The shop radio is always on and I have a separate woofer which I place on top the block until the filler is almost solid.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

If you use Rok blok from Competition products, it automatically flows everywhere. Its BY FAR the easiest block filler to use. Its some sort of thin runny epoxy. Its not embecco 885, originally thought that's what it was. A buddy of mine has been using the 885 bought in bulk, and its definitely not the same. The Rok Blok is white like flour, and has the same consistency. 885 is darker in color and it more concrete like. Seriously, if you have never used it, try it. If you fill a lot of blocks, you will thank me. The key, follow directions exactly, and do not adjust the amounts of water or filler because you think its to runny.
jsgarage
Expert
Expert

Post by jsgarage »

Your photo 2 is a fine graphic illustration of the well known casting-core-shift in 351s and is a good recommendation to NOT bore such engines AT ALL, or at least not without a sonic check first! Thanks for the photo. Could you mike' the thin-wall vs thick-wall dimensions on the cut block & publish it?
n2xlr8n
Expert
Expert

Post by n2xlr8n »

Frankshaft wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:36 am If you use Rok blok from Competition products, it automatically flows everywhere. Its BY FAR the easiest block filler to use. Its some sort of thin runny epoxy. Its not embecco 885, originally thought that's what it was. A buddy of mine has been using the 885 bought in bulk, and its definitely not the same. The Rok Blok is white like flour, and has the same consistency. 885 is darker in color and it more concrete like. Seriously, if you have never used it, try it. If you fill a lot of blocks, you will thank me. The key, follow directions exactly, and do not adjust the amounts of water or filler because you think its to runny.
Thanks for that. My current build will utilize your recommendation.
He who is in me is greater than he who is in the world.
turbo2256b
Pro
Pro

Post by turbo2256b »

jsgarage wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:38 pm Your photo 2 is a fine graphic illustration of the well known casting-core-shift in 351s and is a good recommendation to NOT bore such engines AT ALL, or at least not without a sonic check first! Thanks for the photo. Could you mike' the thin-wall vs thick-wall dimensions on the cut block & publish it?
i dont think thats core shift in pic 2 thats the gap between cylinders as its not a siamesed block. also its either the front or rear cylinder # 1, 4 , 5 or 8. The water passages in those locations is most often the widest
Leftcoaster
Pro
Pro

Post by Leftcoaster »

Frankshaft wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:36 am If you use Rok blok from Competition products, it automatically flows everywhere. Its BY FAR the easiest block filler to use. Its some sort of thin runny epoxy. Its not embecco 885, originally thought that's what it was. A buddy of mine has been using the 885 bought in bulk, and its definitely not the same. The Rok Blok is white like flour, and has the same consistency. 885 is darker in color and it more concrete like. Seriously, if you have never used it, try it. If you fill a lot of blocks, you will thank me. The key, follow directions exactly, and do not adjust the amounts of water or filler because you think its to runny.
Anyone know if Rok Blok actually adheres to a clean rough surface, and is effective for both cast iron and aluminum blocks?

Thanks - -
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

It adheres. Not sure how strong the bond is though. They say its totally water tight. I know of a few aluminum blocks that have been filled with it with no issues.
FloydODB
Pro
Pro

Post by FloydODB »

Daniel Brown
Accurate Engine Rebuilding
(269)930-1962
superpursuit
Pro
Pro

Post by superpursuit »

Is this from a Cleveland or a Windsor 351 block? Thanks.