Strange crankshaft wear pattern

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

modok
Guru
Guru
Re: Strange crankshaft wear pattern

Post by modok »

Although it has a lot of boost it is still has a throttle yes?
Do you close the throttle when shifting gears? Then for that moment it is at max rpms and no boost.
4vpc
Pro
Pro

Post by 4vpc »

modok wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:07 pm Although it has a lot of boost it is still has a throttle yes?
Do you close the throttle when shifting gears? Then for that moment it is at max rpms and no boost.
And where are you going with that?
(I'd assume it wasn't your normal manual change and the gears were shoved in at high speed with little dip in the revs)
There is no S on the end of RPM.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

I don't know, why I asked. he figured there would not be much force on the PULL side due to it being so much boost, which would be true with a diesel, heck you could leave off the caps it would still work until you shut it down :lol:
but not necessarily true with this because it has a throttle.
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

Newold1 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:44 pmI always try to listen and learn from the experts in the manufacture and use of very high performance racing parts. They spend tremendous amounts of money and time making product and performance better including durability. If those experts and extreme condition users say that cross drilled crankshafts are not ideal and they don't use them so I am going to follow their lead and advise and not use them. Why sit here on Speedtalk and ague with their experience, successes and extremely expensive technology, testing and results and try to justify cross drilling crankshafts ! Spend more time listening to free great advise and help and stop trying to justify things work that don't work well. I know there are a few on here who would argue that water isn't wet, but I don't want to hear their sometimes ridiculous opinions. JMO :wink:
MadBill wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:45 pmStuff evolves. There was a time when piston rings were 5/16" wide. My forties-design 61 c.i. Vincent twin had 2" 'primary pipes in race trim. Full groove main bearings were once the norm. Cross-drilled cranks are in the same category.
On top of all the other potential issues raised above, the bearing eccentricity still looks too low for the application.
Why sit here on Speedtalk and argue about this stuff? Good question for each of us. Personally, I'm just trying to understand why and keep thinking out loud doing that. If anyone does anything to his crankshaft based on what I write here, he deserves what he's got coming! ;-)

Right now, I think that car factories making crankshafts understand a lot more about making crankshafts than aftermarket "racing" crankshaft manufacturers. That's not a diss on the aftermarket, just a statement about relative resources, especially computing budgets. So if one wants to talk to someone about cross drillings and how things have evolved, I'd head in the direction of car companies.

Also, I think that if someone is talking about just cross drilling mains without specifying what kind of cross drilling they are talking about, they are out to lunch.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

i would guess GM cross drilled the BBC HI PERF cranks because they found they needed it because it added to the cost in a industry where they look to save pennies.
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

ptuomov wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:48 am
Newold1 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:44 pmI always try to listen and learn from the experts in the manufacture and use of very high performance racing parts. They spend tremendous amounts of money and time making product and performance better including durability. If those experts and extreme condition users say that cross drilled crankshafts are not ideal and they don't use them so I am going to follow their lead and advise and not use them. Why sit here on Speedtalk and ague with their experience, successes and extremely expensive technology, testing and results and try to justify cross drilling crankshafts ! Spend more time listening to free great advise and help and stop trying to justify things work that don't work well. I know there are a few on here who would argue that water isn't wet, but I don't want to hear their sometimes ridiculous opinions. JMO :wink:
MadBill wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:45 pmStuff evolves. There was a time when piston rings were 5/16" wide. My forties-design 61 c.i. Vincent twin had 2" 'primary pipes in race trim. Full groove main bearings were once the norm. Cross-drilled cranks are in the same category.
On top of all the other potential issues raised above, the bearing eccentricity still looks too low for the application.
Why sit here on Speedtalk and argue about this stuff? Good question for each of us. Personally, I'm just trying to understand why and keep thinking out loud doing that. If anyone does anything to his crankshaft based on what I write here, he deserves what he's got coming! ;-)

Right now, I think that car factories making crankshafts understand a lot more about making crankshafts than aftermarket "racing" crankshaft manufacturers. That's not a diss on the aftermarket, just a statement about relative resources, especially computing budgets. So if one wants to talk to someone about cross drillings and how things have evolved, I'd head in the direction of car companies.

Also, I think that if someone is talking about just cross drilling mains without specifying what kind of cross drilling they are talking about, they are out to lunch.
Way different goal sets and challenges. I understand your point about the level of oem resources, but do you honestly think the time they spend in this subject is more than all the professional race teams put together?!?
The "TOP" aftermarket crank vendors know what works and what doesn't when the factory strategies fail.
According to the paper you posted, our strategy wouldn't work at all. The fact is that it does, very well, at way more abusive criteria than the oems use, with less pressure!
About all I can say about that.........
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

pamotorman wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:37 pm i would guess GM cross drilled the BBC HI PERF cranks because they found they needed it because it added to the cost in a industry where they look to save pennies.
They probably thought it was an advantage......in the 70s and 80s.
It seems we beat this to death every couple of years.......kinda like tq vs hp! LOL
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

What factory crankshaft design strategies "fail" in the intended use? My impression is that when a major car company makes a crankshaft, it meets all the design requirements without a fail. I'm talking about the fully computerized era of the last ten to fifteen years.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
Put Search Keywords Here
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

ptuomov wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:21 pm What factory crankshaft design strategies "fail" in the intended use? My impression is that when a major car company makes a crankshaft, it meets all the design requirements without a fail. I'm talking about the fully computerized era of the last ten to fifteen years.
And why do these not work in proffesional motorports.......in the fully computerized era of the last ten to fifteen years?!?
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

Warp Speed wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:23 pm
ptuomov wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:21 pm What factory crankshaft design strategies "fail" in the intended use? My impression is that when a major car company makes a crankshaft, it meets all the design requirements without a fail. I'm talking about the fully computerized era of the last ten to fifteen years.
And why do these not work in proffesional motorports.......in the fully computerized era of the last ten to fifteen years?!?
Are you talking about a situation in which the car factory designs a crankshaft for requirements X, it fully meets the requirements X, then someone like a motorsports team takes that crankshaft and switches the requirements to Y, and the factory crankshaft that was designed for requirements X doesn't meet the new requirements Y? I can see that happening. I can also see a situation in which a small subset of aftermarket manufacturers can design a new crankshaft that meets these new requirements Y. What I can't see happening is a car factory designing a crankshaft for requirement Z and it not meeting the requirements Z.

Perhaps we don't even disagree about anything on this one.
Put Search Keywords Here
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Reminds me of another old song "And the times they are a changing" There are a lot of things OEM's do and don't do to engine parts and development and in today's corporate automobile world its done from an NOI and sales basis. If it is cost effective, meets regulations, will sustain itself at or longer than the warranty period and it will sell to the user, that's the way it's done.

In racing, cost is a small aspect, there is NO Warranty! and they don't care if it sells or not. It's whatever it takes to survive and WIN!

Speed and racing has now shown and pretty much proved that cross drilling the crankshaft to deliver oil is not a successful method in racing and high rpm power adder uses on an engine and that's what this post is about. We are not talking about what OEM manufacturers are doing in their world with their crankshafts.

If you think or believe aftermarket crankshaft manufacturers don't produce some of the best crankshafts in existance, perhaps you should come out of your CAVE and put a Winberg or Bryant racing crankshaft down on a table next to a GM or Ford or other OEM production crankshafts and make some keen observations and analysis.

Ask Cadillac/ ER Racing Engines Daytona prototype LSX engine that just ran 30,00 miles in 24 hours at Daytona at rpms in excess of 7,000rpms. It wasn't no stock GM crankshaft!

If one does these it will become quickly apparent that some pretty choice product comes out of the aftermarket in these crankshafts "AND THEY AIN'T CROSS DRILLED!" and there is no OEM crankshaft that will stay with them and survive in today's super power and rpm professional racing uses.

Enough said I'm done here.
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

Professional motorsports people tell lies on purpose to put the opposition off track. DV even made a topic on that.

The aftermarket parts industry is interested in selling lots of low quality low performing parts.

The OEMs are interested in selling complete vehicles which need to last a reasonable length of time without problems.

That needs thinking about.
Zmechanic
Pro
Pro

Post by Zmechanic »

ptuomov wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:56 am The “problem” comes from the fact that the required supply pressure of a T style drilling is proportional to the square of the main journal diameter and to the square of the rpm. At some rpms, this gets a ridiculously high if mains have large diameter.
I don't disagree with the math, but everyone has been looking at this very idealistically..
Bearing clearances are a controlled leak. How much pressure do they bleed off at the bearing interface between the oil holes?

And all the gallerys are a maze of restrictors and other controlled leaks. How much pressure is actually at the main bearing oil hole?
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

joe 90 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:21 pm Professional motorsports people tell lies on purpose to put the opposition off track. DV even made a topic on that.

The aftermarket parts industry is interested in selling lots of low quality low performing parts...
So the $5,000 cost of say a Winberg or Bryant crank, much less some top-of-the-top $10k+ pieces, is just a sales gimmick to distract us dim racers from the sub-par reality of their cheap and nasty stuff? #-o
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

MadBill wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:03 pm
joe 90 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:21 pm Professional motorsports people tell lies on purpose to put the opposition off track. DV even made a topic on that.

The aftermarket parts industry is interested in selling lots of low quality low performing parts...
So the $5,000 cost of say a Winberg or Bryant crank, much less some top-of-the-top $10k+ pieces, is just a sales gimmick to distract us dim racers from the sub-par reality of their cheap and nasty stuff? #-o
:lol:

It's always the same handful of people too.
-Bob