cooling system anode

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

redliner
Expert
Expert
cooling system anode

Post by redliner »

I need a cooling system anode as I replaced the radiator and this one does'nt have a bung to screw an anode into.I do not want to put a bung in this radiator and wondered if I could just buy a screw in anode, cut the plug off and drop it in the radiator.... will the process work or must it be grounded or attached to the cooling system? Is there another method to prevent the deterioration?
user-23911

Re: cooling system anode

Post by user-23911 »

Use proper antifreeze.
redliner
Expert
Expert

Post by redliner »

joe 90 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:45 pm Use proper antifreeze.
The race track I run at prohibits it.
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

Are you allowed to use Water Wetter or other non-glycol additives? They typically also double as anticorrosives. I use Lucas, but Lucas additive and water looks just like antifreeze and water so you may catch hell for that.

With respect to your original question, I think the anode has to be in conductive contact with the radiator.
j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

Not sure about the contact requirement, the water/coolant serves as that "connection", if it did not, there would be no electrolysis in the first place.
emsvitil
Pro
Pro

Post by emsvitil »

Anode needs to be grounded to work.

Just dropping in radiator doesn't insure it will be grounded.

If radiator is grounded to frame, you can put anode anywhere you can in cooling system as long as it's grounded.
Ed
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

A zinc anode won't protect aluminium.
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

joe 90 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:09 am A zinc anode won't protect aluminium.
nope but it will steel and cast iron.
emsvitil
Pro
Pro

Post by emsvitil »

Zinc should protect aluminum.

There's always magnesium

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion
Ed
chevy art
Pro
Pro

Post by chevy art »

what is a sacrificial anode radiator cap and how does it work? thanks art
BigBlocksOnTop2
Pro
Pro
Location: Chancellorsville Battle Field, Chancellorsville, Virginia

Post by BigBlocksOnTop2 »

Hope you are not using demin water. Demin water will cause corrosion very badly. I remember hearing along time ago about the element boron being used in antifreeze. The boron reacted with aluminum and caused it to deteriorate.
redliner
Expert
Expert

Post by redliner »

BigBlocksOnTop2 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:06 pm Hope you are not using demin water. Demin water will cause corrosion very badly. I remember hearing along time ago about the element boron being used in antifreeze. The boron reacted with aluminum and caused it to deteriorate.
I run straight well water
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

BigBlocksOnTop2 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:06 pm Hope you are not using demin water. Demin water will cause corrosion very badly. I remember hearing along time ago about the element boron being used in antifreeze. The boron reacted with aluminum and caused it to deteriorate.
Demineralised water stops(reduces) corrosion because it doesn't ionise very well so doesn't form a good electrolyte.

You're confused and back to front.
BigBlocksOnTop2
Pro
Pro
Location: Chancellorsville Battle Field, Chancellorsville, Virginia

Post by BigBlocksOnTop2 »

joe 90 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:12 pm
Demineralised water stops(reduces) corrosion because it doesn't ionise very well so doesn't form a good electrolyte.

You're confused and back to front.
I work in a power station and we make demin water. The trailers that are dropped off are now made of stainless steel. I remember yester year they were made from carbon steel and they were rust buckets. They lasted about two years. The demin water is void of minerals and there is something to do with ions. The water ''looks'' to replenish its self with minerals and will eat metal. SS holds up. So what s true?