Guru
Guru

Re: 421 cube pulling truck engine

Post by 77cruiser »

zums wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:10 pm
randy331 wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:16 am
CGT wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:11 pm
So its debris from the MSD chip? :lol:
Learning how to keep it off the rev limiter. Raise it till it doesn't hit it. LOL
Went up to 9600 rpm chip and it just did touch it for a bit on one of the 3 hooks this weekend. It was a loose track.
I think the power is finally nosing over enough up there enough to just not pull it higher.

Randy
Welcome to the 10000 RPM club
Tom
10K that's crazy on a 421, just a testament to your building skills. =D> Like i said can't wait to see what it does in the Pretty Nova. =P~
Jim
wrenchbender

Post by wrenchbender »

randy331 wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:00 am
wrenchbender wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:21 pm Randy, what valve springs you end up using?
They are the Pac 1325 springs with Pac ti. retainers.

Randy
Thanks
slo-svt

Post by slo-svt »

Randy have you considered just selling you 421 and buying this? The cheaper fuel would offset the cost of the engine.

https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=54012
Pure logical thinking cannot yield us any knowledge of the empirical world; all knowledge of reality starts from experience and ends in it.

Albert Einstein
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

slo-svt wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:40 am Randy have you considered just selling you 421 and buying this? The cheaper fuel would offset the cost of the engine.

Good power for a street engine but I thought you were against soliciting? :)
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
slo-svt

Post by slo-svt »

GARY C wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:32 am
slo-svt wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:40 am Randy have you considered just selling you 421 and buying this? The cheaper fuel would offset the cost of the engine.

I was just trying to save randy some money on fuel (10+ dollars a gallon depending one where you get it). I'm sure the medical bills from dragging his knuckles around have to be getting expensive.
Pure logical thinking cannot yield us any knowledge of the empirical world; all knowledge of reality starts from experience and ends in it.

Albert Einstein
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

slo-svt wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:40 am
GARY C wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:32 am

I was just trying to save randy some money on fuel (10+ dollars a gallon depending one where you get it). I'm sure the medical bills from dragging his knuckles around have to be getting expensive.
I will stay away from the personal attacks and let a mans work speak for itself, Randy builds good engines and he doesn't have to be my friend for me to give him credit on his work.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
slo-svt

Post by slo-svt »

GARY C wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:47 am
GARY C wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:32 am Good power for a street engine but I thought you were against soliciting? :)
I will stay away from the personal attacks and let a mans work speak for itself, Randy builds good engines and he doesn't have to be my friend for me to give him credit on his work.
I'm shocked a "good" engine could turn 9,000+ rpms over and over pulling a sled or win a dyno competition like emc. Makes me wonder what defines a great engine...

Albert Einstein
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

slo-svt wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:10 pm

I'm shocked a "good" engine could turn 9,000+ rpms over and over pulling a sled or win a dyno competition like emc. Makes me wonder what defines a great engine...
I don't know, maybe a stock class 289 with a flat tappet cam turning near 8 in a road race car making over 1.4 ft lbs per cube but I rarely call any engine great because it's just a matter of time before someone builds one better.
Please Note!
slo-svt

Post by slo-svt »

GARY C wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:16 pm
I don't know, maybe a stock class 289 with a flat tappet cam turning near 8 in a road race car making over 1.4 ft lbs per cube but I rarely call any engine great because it's just a matter of time before someone builds one better.

What was so impressive about this engine you speak of? Did it run on 81 octane or something?

Albert Einstein
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

slo-svt wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:42 pm
GARY C wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:16 pm

What was so impressive about this engine you speak of? Did it run on 81 octane or something?
I don't know what fuel the class runs but if you can rework a stock SBF to make those kind of numbers your doing something right.

One thing I learned years ago is to factor in the fuel needed for the combo your building or you will destroy a very expensive engine by trying to run substandard fuel or octane booster because you either didn't know what you were doing or were to cheap to buy the fuel needed for the combo.
Please Note!
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Didn't have any IAMO pulls to go to this weekend, and I thought we were gonna have a weekend off, but due to my son's lack of self control,..... we went to a Northwest MO sanctioned pull in Grant City, MO. Short tow at least. LOL

Below is a couple videos of our pull.
Won first place by almost 10'
The second place truck has a BBC I did for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5PaJILL3a0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGrsuQWcFzc

Said he was gonna get after it at the starting line. Brought it up till the shift light was on (9000 rpm) before he brought the clutch in. Had it flickering the shift light on on the way down track.

Just 2 more IAMO pulls left this year. Not sure where else we'll pull.

Edit, not sure that link to the engine posted for sale would seem as mean tied to a sled. Bet that sled would seem a lot heavier with that engine in our pullin truck.

Randy
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

randy331 wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:35 pm Didn't have any IAMO pulls to go to this weekend, and I thought we were gonna have a weekend off, but due to my son's lack of self control,..... we went to a Northwest MO sanctioned pull in Grant City, MO. Short tow at least. LOL

Below is a couple videos of our pull.
Won first place by almost 10'
The second place truck has a BBC I did for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5PaJILL3a0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGrsuQWcFzc

Said he was gonna get after it at the starting line. Brought it up till the shift light was on (9000 rpm) before he brought the clutch in. Had it flickering the shift light on on the way down track.

Just 2 more IAMO pulls left this year. Not sure where else we'll pull.

Edit, not sure that link to the engine posted for sale would seem as mean tied to a sled. Bet that sled would seem a lot heavier with that engine in our pullin truck.

Randy
Sounds awesome, don't miss a lick. Get some headers and strap that thing back on the dyno! =D>
Old School
Pro
Pro

Post by Old School »

Sounds really good. I would like to see the engine on your brother's dragster and get some numbers.

Congratulations on the wins.

Billy
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Here's a video of the second place truck.
It's Boone's 469 cube BBC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYkIJVv-lGc

He needed a higher gear. Had 8600 rev limit in it, and it was hittin it mid track. Not sure we should spin a steel valve 4" stroke BBC much higher.

Randy
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Old School wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:15 pm I would like to see the engine on your brother's dragster and get some numbers.
4.99 in the 1/8 mile ?

Randy