Rod alignment

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Re: Rod alignment

Post by swampbuggy »

I am understanding it more the harder i strive for answers and facts, Steve i agree with your last post, it adds up. Thanks Mark H. :D
elwood

Post by elwood »

MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Umm...here's a quote from that first link: "All crankshaft guided rods require thrust washers to support the rod from excessive side play."

Damn! How did I miss those on my last rebuild? #-o And come to think of it, how do you install washers on the journals of a one-piece crank? :-k
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

I think some engine would adapt well to piston guided rods, but not all.
Like, a subaru, audi W, or, when you have two rods between mains, it might not work out right.
elwood

Post by elwood »

MadBill wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:33 pm All in favor of piston-guided rods, raise your hand..
MadBill wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:06 am Umm...here's a quote from that first link: "All crankshaft guided rods require thrust washers to support the rod from excessive side play."

Damn! How did I miss those on my last rebuild? #-o And come to think of it, how do you install washers on the journals of a one-piece crank? :-k
nothing but snark?

the big ends are reduced to cause what would normally be considered excessive side clearance and the small ends are shimmed to control rod location on the crank.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

All about the context
That site has a picture of a three piece motorcycle crank on the main page.
LSP
Pro
Pro

Post by LSP »

Rods will oscillate front to back during overlap, the pin end of the rod will move over more than the rod side clearance "should" allow it to in some cases.

Think about what that dynamic misalignment is doing.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Wow. Now thats alot of movement. So that is putting a lot of side load. How did you determine this?
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

Crank flex can cause the rod to be pushed sideways.

I don't think they naturally do that in most engines. You see the wear on the pin, hardly ever any wider than the bushing.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Hmmm very interesting. So if your rod is off to one side of piston pin already ( which a lot are) it could create side load on piston or between the two rods. That is something i did not know for sure. Very interesting guys. Thank you.
LSP
Pro
Pro

Post by LSP »

Steve.k wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:49 pm Wow. Now thats alot of movement. So that is putting a lot of side load. How did you determine this?
Experimented with varied rod small end to inner pin boss clearances.

Crank flex was mentioned, yes, that plays a role as well.
blykins
Guru
Guru

Post by blykins »

LSP wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:48 pm Rods will oscillate front to back during overlap, the pin end of the rod will move over more than the rod side clearance "should" allow it to in some cases.

Further proof that a rod is never centered on the wrist pin.

Just because a rod is centered when the engine isn't turning doesn't mean it's going to be when the engine is running. Rod side clearance can be .020-.025" in a lot of cases. Unless it's a piston-guided rod, the rod will move around.

Going to all of this marketing length to show that a rod is mostly centered when you put the engine together doesn't mean squat.
Lykins Motorsports
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
Custom Ford Windsor, Cleveland, and FE Street/Race Engines
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

MadBill wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:06 am Umm...here's a quote from that first link: "All crankshaft guided rods require thrust washers to support the rod from excessive side play."

They only sell 1 piece rods for multi-piece cranks, so it's assumed that people looking at other parts there and reading the literature are using the same stuff.

JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

blykins wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:08 am
LSP wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:48 pm Rods will oscillate front to back during overlap, the pin end of the rod will move over more than the rod side clearance "should" allow it to in some cases.

Further proof that a rod is never centered on the wrist pin.

Just because a rod is centered when the engine isn't turning doesn't mean it's going to be when the engine is running. Rod side clearance can be .020-.025" in a lot of cases. Unless it's a piston-guided rod, the rod will move around.

Going to all of this marketing length to show that a rod is mostly centered when you put the engine together doesn't mean squat.
Ahh yes brent its not centered when running. But you missing the point. If its already over to far more side load on piston. Thats where the hp is saved. Very interesting. Thats why the boys who tested the rods seen gains. And nascar centers them so they cannot move. Very interesting indeed.
blykins
Guru
Guru

Post by blykins »

No sir, you're missing the point.

The "boys" who tested the rods are from Molnar. Let's see the dyno sheet and let's see the build sheet, identifying the rod length and rod weight in each engine that was tested. Let's also see a third party builder test them.

Your "Centralign" rods will never be centered with a running engine...................................which is the whole argument that Molnar is offering up. If you want centered rods, which goes along with their argument, then you need to run piston guided rods. Otherwise the rods are going to move. Piston guided rods are centered because if they weren't, the big end of the rod would be dancing all over the rod journal.

I can show you photos of other brands of rods in my engines where the rods are centered. If I were to use a "Centralign" rod with .050" offset in those particular engines, then they wouldn't be centered anymore................

There are so many logic holes in their marketing that it's beginning to not be funny anymore.
Last edited by blykins on Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lykins Motorsports
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
Custom Ford Windsor, Cleveland, and FE Street/Race Engines