General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

RevTheory
Guru
Guru
Valve Spring Help

Post by RevTheory »

Good morning, fellas.

We've got an AMC 360 at the shop and are having a hell of a time getting the springs sorted out. The OEM springs measure 1.36 O/D and we've had recommendations for the cam we're using all at 1.28 or 1.29.

The shop says it's "sloppy" in there and doesn't like it but we can't find anything with enough force that's close to the factory O/D.

https://howardscams.com/i-24078478-howa ... r-kit.html

http://www.compperformancegroupstores.c ... gory_Code=

Are we making a bigger deal out of the O/D than we need to? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: Valve Spring Help

Post by mag2555 »

I would work at getting the biggest OD spring in there that I could as long as the rockers clear the retainers that the bigger OD springs will need, and the heads spring seat area can deal with supplying enough support!

Bigger OD springs can in general apply more pressure at any given lift while getting stressed less and providing a greater distance before coil bind possibly.

As a side note always check new spring and retainer combos such that the nose of the retainer drops into the spring with no binding, other wise you run the risk of a broken spring top that you ca not even see other then how the motor will be missing at high rpm!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

Widening the spring pocket would certainly open some doors. Thanks, Mag.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Machine head for a spring cup that fits the B Hive?
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

GARY C wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:17 pm Machine head for a spring cup that fits the B Hive?
I like that idea. That could work with an I.D locator as well.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

CGT wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:08 pm
GARY C wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:17 pm Machine head for a spring cup that fits the B Hive?
I like that idea. That could work with an I.D locator as well.
I did not know they had an ID but that would possibly fit the pocket as is. Thats MO Better. :)
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

I like the machine pocket + spring cup for beehives mo better, too. I searched around for spring cups a couple of weeks ago (or at least I think I may have :? ) but came up short. It's also not my money and being an AMC, his credit card is already whimpering.

Comp has a standard spring that fits the cup but is about 20 lbs. shy of the recommended seat pressure that I bet we could shim up and be done. Think that would suffice?

I didn't even think of an I/D locator. Damn, back on google, lol
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

Ive used the 4705-16 COMP locators and GMPP#12499224 Beehive spring kit several times on mild stuff. Works good, and relatively cheap. Will require 787-16 COMP retainers if using 11/32 stems. Springs have room for .560 lift easy at 1.800. Plus, you can say you have an AMC with high tech beehive springs. :lol: You will have to machine the guide boss to locate them, but that also gives you the opportunity to run a good positive valve stem seal .
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

CGT wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:31 pm Ive used the 4705-16 COMP locators and GMPP#12499224 Beehive spring kit several times on mild stuff. Works good, and relatively cheap. Will require 787-16 COMP retainers if using 11/32 stems. Springs have room for .560 lift easy at 1.800. Plus, you can say you have an AMC with high tech beehive springs. :lol: You will have to machine the guide boss to locate them, but that also gives you the opportunity to run a good positive valve stem seal .
Plus if your brave and creative Comp sells the tools to cut theses areas with a drill. :)
Please Note!
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

LS6 AMC. I like it :D
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

I got your options to the owner of the engine and he's going to present it to the shop in the next couple of days. I'm not sure it's going to be worth it as we're dealing with such a small cam and only 5,500 rpm so he'll likely just shim up some 1.35 o/d Comp springs from 90 to 115 lbs. closed and ditch the beehive idea.

Regardless of what he chooses to do, I learned something that can help me on my own stuff so thanks for the help. *insert high-five emoji here*