General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Re: Carb Recommendation

Post by KnightEngines »

Why can't you run the carbs sideways?

A pair of TR set up 750's would be nice.
RD_Racing

Post by RD_Racing »

KnightEngines wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:32 pm Why can't you run the carbs sideways?

A pair of TR set up 750's would be nice.
It makes the entire setup wider and I already have a cutout in the hood with nice rounded finished edges. I don't want to cut it wider and then have to trim it with something. I also think it looks much better when the cutout is as small as possible.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

I'd be wary of lifting the engine with the carb flange lift plates on the tunnel ram.
it is a lot of weight load on those 4 little plenum to runner bolts.
I'd use a lift strap or chain on the cylinder heads to lift it, install it.

Pay attention to the the scoop (and or air cleaners) on the carbs. It matters, at speed.
What is this engine going to go in? Curious... 8)
RD_Racing

Post by RD_Racing »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:05 pm I'd be wary of lifting the engine with the carb flange lift plates on the tunnel ram.
it is a lot of weight load on those 4 little plenum to runner bolts.
I'd use a lift strap or chain on the cylinder heads to lift it, install it.

Pay attention to the the scoop (and or air cleaners) on the carbs. It matters, at speed.
What is this engine going to go in? Curious... 8)
Its going in a 73 Pro Street Vega.. I just got it back from the chassis shop with a new 12 point and mid plate installed. The old motor was a 355 with a pair of mech 450's.. Its got a new 2" cowl hood now too..

F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Smooth car.. I think you will like the 650 AVS2 carbs compared to what you had.
For a lot of reasons.

Since it is a street car don't forget to use and integrate a functional PCV valve system into the carb tune. The carbs are setup to run with a PCV working.
It is also a great way to tweek the fuel curve to get it right by tweeking the flow rate of the PCV. Requires good effective valve cover oil baffling. (most aftermarket racey valve covers lack this) Will keep the engine bay a LOT Cleaner than without.

Might even want to leave the chokes and fast idle linkage on and functional for quick car warm ups. A lot of benefits to that on a street tunnel ram car.
Hook up a manual choke control cable and use it to benefit.

70's Vegas used to be like cowboy hats. Everybody had one. You rarely see them around now. Smooth...

You will find a AFR meter/gauge (and a vacuum gauge) very useful in dialing in the jetting on those
AVS2 carbs. Can be wide band or simple low cost narrow band type.

For best car power and track 1/4 mile performance ( ET and MPH) don't get all tied up in a perfect AFR gauge reading. You want to jet it for MAX performance but avoid a too lean tune up. The best WOT jetting at the track may be a bit different than best dyno test jetting.
The AFR gauge really helps you dial in the off idle and low speed and part throttle cruise. And avoid getting way too lean when dialing in the WOT jetting for max power.

The nice thing about the 2x Eddy carbs is the ease of changing the primary metering rods to switch back and forth between a 1/4 mile TRACK max racing tune up (open headers+ cold manifold) and a street cruise tune up for closed exhaust and a fully warmed up engine for street driving.

A quick primary metering rod swap lets you "switch hit" between the 2 different setups.