Valve pockets

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

1972ho
Guru
Guru
Re: Valve pockets

Post by 1972ho »

I thought the bowl/pocket was diverging part of the port after velocity has been increased through the smallest part of the port.
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

dave brode
Expert
Expert

Post by dave brode »

72 ho, what's the blue stuff?

Thanks.
Dave
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

1972ho wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:46 am The bowls in these heads have already been ported and cleveland bowls have not that’s why they look a little different.
That's not what I meant. He says the modular heads don't have valve pockets. Yet they look visually similar to heads that "have valve pockets". So if those aren't valve pockets, what are they? They sure look like pockets to me? When people do pocket porting on 4v modular heads, that's the area they work. So? According to the OP, modular heads don't have valve pockets. So what are those if they're not valve pockets? What makes them different than the Cleveland heads?

Personally, they look to both look relatively the same in those pics, minus the obvious clean metal from recent port work.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Anybody?

I still don't get why you're saying mod motor heads don't have valve pockets. They look just like heads with valve pockets so what makes these different? What do you see or not see that makes you think they don't?
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

This engine didn't like a "bowl" or whatever, even when the flow bench liked it:

Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Pocket....bowl. Tomato... Tomaato...
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
turbo2256b
Pro
Pro

Post by turbo2256b »

this is more like the valve pocket i was thinking of the section above with the port angle and such would not need or be helped with same changes
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.