lefty o
Guru
Guru
Re: Oil filter microns with no bypass adapter

Post by lefty o »

4vpc wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:42 pm
lefty o wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:18 pm
4vpc wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:11 pm

How would non magnetic dirt find its way into an engine?
thru the thing on top, carb, fuel inj, carbon from the combustion process, etc, etc. lots of ways for non magnetic dirt to get into an engine.
I think It would be wiser to deal with how they are getting into engine oil rather than trying to deal with them once they are in there.
Typical non ferrous engine by-products are non damaging and are held in the oil to be dealt with when it's changed.
let me put it this way. notice the color of brand new oil, and its clarity. run it 1000miles, its no longer the same clarity, and that color didnt come from magnetic particles. a magnet may be great if you chunk a part, but it doesnt do squat for anything else.
4vpc
Pro
Pro

Post by 4vpc »

lefty o wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:53 pm
lefty o wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:18 pm

thru the thing on top, carb, fuel inj, carbon from the combustion process, etc, etc. lots of ways for non magnetic dirt to get into an engine.
I think It would be wiser to deal with how they are getting into engine oil rather than trying to deal with them once they are in there.
Typical non ferrous engine by-products are non damaging and are held in the oil to be dealt with when it's changed.
let me put it this way. notice the color of brand new oil, and its clarity. run it 1000miles, its no longer the same clarity, and that color didnt come from magnetic particles. a magnet may be great if you chunk a part, but it doesnt do squat for anything else.
I don't think you understand how engines and oil work very well. More research need there for you I think.
There is no S on the end of RPM.
Circlotron
Guru
Guru

Post by Circlotron »

4vpc wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:11 pm How would non magnetic dirt find its way into an engine?
On a street engine the PCV system can make most of the inside of the engine that sees oil behave as an oil bath air cleaner if the PCV air inlet is not filtered properly. Not really what you want.
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

4vpc wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:05 pm
lefty o wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:53 pm

I don't think you understand how engines and oil work very well. More research need there for you I think.
think i have a better handle on it than you do.
kimosabi
Pro
Pro

Post by kimosabi »

tenxal wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:00 am
kimosabi wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:42 amRight now using the Wix 51060 21 microns but I see R2C offers a 5 micron oil filter. What would you consider, or have experienced, too restrictive for a 10-40 oil engine?
Be careful...more filtering is not always better.
I have my own theory on it and I assume we're on the same page, I just wanted to pick some brains. Alot of brains here. Comparing some fuel filters that are 10 microns, 5 microns on a much thicker fluid than fuel seem very overkill and flow restrictive to me.
barnym17
Guru
Guru

Post by barnym17 »

Look at it this way what is the smallest clearance the oil must pass thru in the engine? A filter that filters any smaller than that is just restricting oil flow. I have also always subscribed to the theory that dirty oil is better than no oil and leave the bypass operational because all it does is react to pressure differential across the filter and opens providing oil when the filter is restricted somehow.
kimosabi
Pro
Pro

Post by kimosabi »

Yes, let's take a rod bearing clearance of .0020 for example. That's about 50 microns.

I agree on the bypass on cars that have a regular person using it. Look after it a little extra, have an oil pressure gauge, and make sure you change oil and filter often a no bypass is no problem. I run 10-40 oil in below freezing temps and a 21 micron filter with no bypass. Oil pressure is not a problem anywhere. Only a benefit as you know all oil gets filtered. Most bypass adapters open way too soon.
HDBD
Expert
Expert

Post by HDBD »

Part of the problem I see here is commingling of standards, the method used to measure the particle size that will pass. The most common being absolute, nominal, and multi pass beta ratio. A bypass is never needed as long as the operating pressure does not get too high. That is a function of viscosity and the operating pressure.
Some of the common standards:
SAE HS806, SAE J1858, ISO 4548-12, SAE J1260
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

I am really glad that winter in a lot of cold areas of the world is closer to ending rather than the beginning, because shortly interesting, enlightening and really worth while exchange of helpful and interesting posts about speed, engines, horsepower and such will come out of the "Cabin Fever" discussions period like this one about oil filter microns !

Let's get some real high performance discussions and ideas going on here before many of us yawn are sells to sleep ! :roll:
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
kimosabi
Pro
Pro

Post by kimosabi »

Cabin fever? 70 Camaro with studded snow tires here. 500hp 400 sbc. Drive it whenever I get the chance.

Part of why I wanted to pick a few brains, the cold, but if everyone just drive/race their cars on perfect dry sunny days and store them in climate controlled shops 6 months a year I can understand the negativity.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Hey Kimosabi ! Now that's an idea for "Winter Fever Racing". How about studded snow tire circle track racing on an snow covered iced track! Wow, that would get some hearts pumping ! Glad you and your cool ride are out of the "Cabin"
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

I drove my '70 Z28 (headers, cross-ram, etc.) through the winter of 1971; discovered that street-type studs lose retention at 120 MPH.. #-o
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
RCJ
Expert
Expert

Post by RCJ »

I've been cutting filters open for several years.The first filter on a new build will scare you.I always use a standard wix and change very quickly.
After cutting some of the higher micron filters open and comparing to standard 20 micron filters.I when back to standard filters and try to use the largest filter I can get.i think of it like the oil is sandpaper. NO filter the oil is like 180 grit,With a 50 micron filter the oil will be like 320 grit paper,with a 20 micron it will be like 800 grit( just example for explaining).
I don't use any Joe GIbbs products but ,everything that I have heard from Lake Speed jr., I have proven to be true in my own testing.He recommends changing your filters more often that your oil.
user-17438

Post by user-17438 »

To bypass or not. Some may say dirty oil is better than no oil..
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

MTENGINES wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:14 am To bypass or not. Some may say dirty oil is better than no oil..
dirty slippery stuff is better than no slippery stuff.