Oil filter microns with no bypass adapter

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

kimosabi
Pro
Pro
Re: Oil filter microns with no bypass adapter

Post by kimosabi »

I can think of one good reason to run a bypass and that is negligent owners. A good oil filter changed at regular intervals will not clog and if you have a mishap creating small shrapnel non bypass will not circulate particles past the filter.

I have a couple rules knowing I run 10-40 oil, I do not fire the engine up freezing cold below a certain temp. I use a heater fan under the hood for an hour or so first, and I never pump the gas until I have cranked for atleast 5 seconds. Very easy to control when the engine starts because there is no choke and it demands two or three times pumping the gas before firing up cold.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

My take is if your engine is producing a lot of metal debris larger than 40-50 microns which is a barely visible particle your problem is bigger than just the micron rating of your oil filter. Your oil filter is supposed to remove those and larger particles and trap them in the filter provided your bypass is not opening or plugged. Its important to know and remember that human red blood cells measure between 5 and 10 microns and are barely visible under a powerful microscope. If you use a filter that may remove particles that small you are going to restrict the flow of the engine oil and you can starve engine components that are in great need of that volume of lubrication. Cut open your removed filters and make sure you don't see a lot of visible metal debris or dirt, if you do see that realize that there may be something wrong in your engine where you should concentrate on finding that problem and FIX it!

Trying to re-refine your oil with an oil filter by trying to get particle filtration down to 5-10 microns is a mistake. If your engine operates in an environment where your oil gets fairly dirty then change your oil and filter more often and thus also make sure your oil system bypasses are not opening and redistributing the contaminated oil back thru the engine. Also realize that dirt can enter the engine easily through the air intake system and it will migrate quickly into the oil and contaminate it.Use good air filters and make sure its not entering from breathers also especially with crankcase vacuum systems.
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

Newold1 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:47 pm My take is if your engine is producing a lot of metal debris larger than 40-50 microns which is a barely visible particle your problem is bigger than just the micron rating of your oil filter. Your oil filter is supposed to remove those and larger particles and trap them in the filter provided your bypass is not opening or plugged. Its important to know and remember that human red blood cells measure between 5 and 10 microns and are barely visible under a powerful microscope. If you use a filter that may remove particles that small you are going to restrict the flow of the engine oil and you can starve engine components that are in great need of that volume of lubrication. Cut open your removed filters and make sure you don't see a lot of visible metal debris or dirt, if you do see that realize that there may be something wrong in your engine where you should concentrate on finding that problem and FIX it!

Trying to re-refine your oil with an oil filter by trying to get particle filtration down to 5-10 microns is a mistake. If your engine operates in an environment where your oil gets fairly dirty then change your oil and filter more often and thus also make sure your oil system bypasses are not opening and redistributing the contaminated oil back thru the engine. Also realize that dirt can enter the engine easily through the air intake system and it will migrate quickly into the oil and contaminate it.Use good air filters and make sure its not entering from breathers also especially with crankcase vacuum systems.
We run a 6 micron filter. :wink:
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

How do you configure or manage to get the oils you run flowing at enough volume with that small a filter micron rating . I am all ears.
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

Newold1 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:04 am How do you configure or manage to get the oils you run flowing at enough volume with that small a filter micron rating . I am all ears.
I've seen about a 5-7psi pressure drop through the filter @ well over 10gpm, but who cares?
Micron rating needed, goes hand in hand with the clearances used in the engine.
kimosabi
Pro
Pro

Post by kimosabi »

Warp, what oil and how big is the filter?
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

kimosabi wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:50 am Warp, what oil and how big is the filter?
Let's say 10w-30ish for the sake of discussion, and an oem type filter size. Not the old standard sbc large size.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Run a full flow filter w/o a bypass then hook a small micron bypass filter like an Amsoil or even the old style Franz filter... Problem solved.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

Krooser wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:25 am Run a full flow filter w/o a bypass then hook a small micron bypass filter like an Amsoil or even the old style Franz filter... Problem solved.
Then you've just increased the the flow restriction AND vehicle weight! Lol
naukkis79
Pro
Pro

Post by naukkis79 »

I'd prefer running engine without oil filter than with filter without bypass. It only need a little bit water in coldish oil to clog oil filter totally and burn bearings. Which is more likely to happen, debris or water in oil?

Most engine bearings are made from soft metals, which do absorb unwanted particles in bearing metal. Without something broke in engine bearings usually don't catch anything even when used without filter at all.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Warp Speed wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:18 pm
Krooser wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:25 am Run a full flow filter w/o a bypass then hook a small micron bypass filter like an Amsoil or even the old style Franz filter... Problem solved.
Then you've just increased the the flow restriction AND vehicle weight! Lol
Weight yes...but you just tap into an oil gallery and filter just a bit if the oil...no restriction in flow.
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

Krooser wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:34 pmWeight yes...but you just tap into an oil gallery and filter just a bit if the oil...no restriction in flow.
Respectfully, you're making this waaaaay harder than it needs to be. :)
kimosabi
Pro
Pro

Post by kimosabi »

I just purchased a case of Wix 51061. I don't want to think about this anymore. :D
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

tenxal wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:00 pm
Krooser wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:34 pmWeight yes...but you just tap into an oil gallery and filter just a bit if the oil...no restriction in flow.
Respectfully, you're making this waaaaay harder than it needs to be. :)
Pretty simple install actually... you'd just have a partial filter just like millions of class 8 trucks ran for years. The old LuberFiner filters were the standard before full flow filters were common. One pressure line and one return...
kimosabi
Pro
Pro

Post by kimosabi »

I think it's simpler to just run a large capacity single filter.