Oil filter microns with no bypass adapter

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

kimosabi
Pro
Pro
Oil filter microns with no bypass adapter

Post by kimosabi »

Right now using the Wix 51060 21 microns but I see R2C offers a 5 micron oil filter. What would you consider, or have experienced, too restrictive for a 10-40 oil engine?
grandsport51
Pro
Pro
Re: Oil filter microns with no bypass adapter

Post by grandsport51 »

I like the Canton racing filter better than the Oberg with huge flow capabilities and easy to inspect!

"As you can see from this cutaway image, the filter media is rolled around the inner cage of the element. When you take it out of the can, you can remove the end caps and simply unroll it for inspection.
The filter we used on Project BlownZ, in conjunction with our Peterson Fluid Systems Filter Mount and Primer, is Part Number 25-244, and consists of a 4.25-inch-tall billet housing that uses 13/16-inch-16 threads and uses a standard-size O-ring, just like any other filter you’d typically use.

The element inside the filter has removable caps, and the synthetic media inside will filter up to 15 gallons per minute of hot engine oil with zero loss of pressure.

The fiber will filter particles all the way down to eight microns — that’s three ten-thousandths of an inch. The filter body is a billet work of art — it has four simple bolts to aid in removal of the 2 5/8-inch-tall element, which can subsequently be inspected and replaced."
LIGHT 'EM UP
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

I really believe that when it comes to oil filters the aftermarket enthusiast tends to over think oil filters. They can be and are a really big marketing ploy for some specialty oil filter sellers.With the new synthetic quality oils and most performance engines limited use and cleaner use environments that dirty quickly depleted oil is a thing of the past. The only real consideration for oil filter microns is that affect on particle removal and on flow. Remember that very small micron ratings in standard size oil filters will cu down on volume flows of oil in gallons/liters/minute (GPM). Getting an oil filter down to 5 microns in most engines is overkill in my opinion. Research and testing on engines with various oil filter micron ratings shows that particles less than 10-20 microns in size tend to travel right through an engine in the oil and do no appreciable damage or issues to surfaces and bearings. In many cases the flow or volume of oil and not so much pressures are more important than just pressure. This is because so many times users think just about oil lubrication and not the really important COOLING that oil does in an engine. A good volume of oil flow helps cool and remove heat from high heat areas of a performance engine especially valve train and pistons. Wix is a good filter and has lots available in many micron ratings but I would not get to wrapped up in cutting that rating down to a size that with decreased flows has unintended consequences. Most good oil filter manufacturers and independent tests show the flow differences in filter for both size and micron ratings. Most performance enthusiasts are probably better off buying a tool that carefully cuts open their used oil filters and doing an inspection of the media to see what type of particles and metal their engine may be producing as a better opportunity to protect their investment. JMHO
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
kimosabi
Pro
Pro

Post by kimosabi »

I like those Cantons with renewable filter elements.
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

used the system one oil filters for many years. Billet housing so they don't leak, stainless steel mesh filter media, easy to clean and inspect for debris. I think they offer several micron filter media. If I remember right I think the one on my race car is 35 microns. I seldom have any material in my bearings on refresh. I drag race index so my engines go 4 years, about 150 passes before I pull one down the check them over. 700Hp right now.
RCJ
Expert
Expert

Post by RCJ »

The beta rating is a better way to compare filters.They can advertise a micron number because it might catch 1 particle at 5 microns and 20 more at the same size pass thru.I would have no problem running an R2C, but I have when back to standard wix filters and try to get a larger filter .
shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Post by shoedoos »

SonnyJames

Post by SonnyJames »

The Canton filter cartridges only filter down to 60 thousands from them. 😉
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

kimosabi wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:42 amRight now using the Wix 51060 21 microns but I see R2C offers a 5 micron oil filter. What would you consider, or have experienced, too restrictive for a 10-40 oil engine?
Be careful...more filtering is not always better.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

I am always amazed after all my years in performance engines that there is so much mystique in oil filters. My ideas are if you are having wear or problems in lubricated surfaces subjected to wear. Find your problem, it's there and fix it. If you are trying to find new magic horsepower or something to do, spend more of your time looking at areas where horsepower is hiding and unlock those areas. If you operate in dirty envirnoments that need extra filtering, then change your oil often, change the filter whatever micron at the same time and keep on keeping on! Oil and filter talk to me consumes way to much attention and conversation! I guess it's just easy! :roll:
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
4vpc
Pro
Pro

Post by 4vpc »

If it worries you put a filtermag on and a magnetic sump plug.
There is no S on the end of RPM.
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

4vpc wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:51 am If it worries you put a filtermag on and a magnetic sump plug.
what about the non magnetic dirt?
4vpc
Pro
Pro

Post by 4vpc »

lefty o wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:45 am
4vpc wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:51 am If it worries you put a filtermag on and a magnetic sump plug.
How would non magnetic dirt find its way into an engine?
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

4vpc wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:11 pm
thru the thing on top, carb, fuel inj, carbon from the combustion process, etc, etc. lots of ways for non magnetic dirt to get into an engine.
4vpc
Pro
Pro

Post by 4vpc »

lefty o wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:18 pm
4vpc wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:11 pm

thru the thing on top, carb, fuel inj, carbon from the combustion process, etc, etc. lots of ways for non magnetic dirt to get into an engine.
I think It would be wiser to deal with how they are getting into engine oil rather than trying to deal with them once they are in there.
Typical non ferrous engine by-products are non damaging and are held in the oil to be dealt with when it's changed.