more carburator on 18 degree 406 cui sbc

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Re: more carburator on 18 degree 406 cui sbc

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

As soon as you use a single 4bbl carbs power reference ( on a single 4bbl carbed motor) EG: x cfm supports y horsepower,,, so therefore bla bla bla....

You will not find the best 2 TWO carbs for a 2 TWO carbed motor ( especially a TUNNEL RAM motor.

It is not a simple cfm-horsepower relationship equation. Tunnel rams love LOTS of carb.
More is usually better. The only way to know is to test the carbs.
You'd want o know the exact manifold vacuum reference from the tests too.
I bet if you just stuck 2 x 750's on any single 4bbl carbed motor Warp is referencing ALL OF THEM will increase power output over the single carb.
This is using the same single 4bbl manifold. Swapping the single 4bbl intake for a tunnel ram and 2 carbs is a total different deal. AND it will again pick up more additional power.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Why are you not asking HOGAN about the hogan sheet metal intake manifold?
It is more likely that the intake design is not "right" for this engine'
Especially if it was robbed from a different engine. Same with the headers.

The nice thing about the tunnel rams with the removable top is you can CHANGE things. You can change the runner length. You can change the taper and shape of the runners entrance. You can change the internal volume AND SHAPE and the height of the plenum. All with addin inserts in the plenum.
Once the top is on nobody is the wiser.
I would have started with the Edelbrock Victor RAM tunnel ram SBC intake and machined it to fit those Brodix 18deg heads.
We had to make our own custom (single 4bbl Dominator) intake manifold for our 18X heads way back. There were no intakes and no CNC porting programs for them back then. ALL custom, by hand. Ours were 1 of the first 10 18x head sets cast.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
cpmotors
Expert
Expert

Post by cpmotors »

MadBill wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:40 pm...
=D>
Just trying to help my post count and attain the next level.....

Carry on.

PS. Can I double post?
Pete Graves
CPMotorworks,Inc.
Custom Engine Machining
Cylinder Head Fixture for Vertical / Surfacing Mills since 2008
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

if you're referring to my 'dot' post above, it is the result of me replying to a question in the last post I read, posting it, then discovering that several subsequent posts had rendered it redundant/inapplicable. Then since more than ~ 10 seconds had passed, I couldn't delete it and could only reduce it to a few periods. In the process, I lost my original reply and opted to not re-work & re-post it. #-o
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
treyrags
Pro
Pro

Post by treyrags »

MadBill wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:55 pm if you're referring to my 'dot' post above, it is the result of me replying to a question in the last post I read, posting it, then discovering that several subsequent posts had rendered it redundant/inapplicable. Then since more than ~ 10 seconds had passed, I couldn't delete it and could only reduce it to a few periods. In the process, I lost my original reply and opted to not re-work & re-post it. #-o
Damn, what a cluster.........
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:26 pm I bet if you just stuck 2 x 750's on any single 4bbl carbed motor Warp is referencing ALL OF THEM will increase power output over the single carb.
Is that bet with you "just sticking 2 x 750 s" on one his RO7 engines, or Warp doing it ?

Kinda tryin to figure my odds here before taking the bet.

Randy
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

There is no U in I, Me, Him, or they. But there is a U in You. Which is what I posted.
Why don't yoU try it yourself on one of your motors.
I bet that it just might open up a whole new world for you.
hjallle123

Post by hjallle123 »

thanks everybody for your help
cpmotors
Expert
Expert

Post by cpmotors »

MadBill wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:55 pm if you're referring to my 'dot' post above, it is the result of me replying to a question in the last post I read, posting it, then discovering that several subsequent posts had rendered it redundant/inapplicable. Then since more than ~ 10 seconds had passed, I couldn't delete it and could only reduce it to a few periods. In the process, I lost my original reply and opted to not re-work & re-post it. #-o
Always appreciate your posts and input Bill, but I wasn't referring to your dots at all. Just using your post to accent my indirect sarcasm. I laugh at my own jokes too much. :D
Pete Graves
CPMotorworks,Inc.
Custom Engine Machining
Cylinder Head Fixture for Vertical / Surfacing Mills since 2008
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

nice clean up there lol