SBC 2 piece rear seal install?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

R.Olds
Pro
Pro

SBC 2 piece rear seal install?

Post by R.Olds »

To use sealer or not use sealer? To overlap or not overlap?
I am curious what guys with dry engines are doing for success.... :D short of a vacuum pump....
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: SBC 2 piece rear seal install?

Post by ProPower engines »

R.Olds wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:09 pm To use sealer or not use sealer? To overlap or not overlap?
I am curious what guys with dry engines are doing for success.... :D short of a vacuum pump....
Yes Yes
use a dab of sealer on the ends of 1 half of the seal and clock the seal so the ends don't meet at the parting line.
And use a quality seal for the application.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

i always put a thin layer of non hardening perm a tex in the groove that fits onto the cap and block. also used the same on the area where the cap contacts the block to make sure there is no leaks there.
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

No sealer on ends but overlap here.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
Reef

Post by Reef »

I'm of the yes and yes variety as well. I pre-assemble without the crank installed, with sealant on backside of seal and insure good fitment. It's wise to inspect both seal lips I have opened new seals and found imperfections, rare but not that rare, just 2 months ago with a felpro 2900.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

About a 1/4" clock is all here. I use good old, "Indianhead", on the ends and just skosh on their backs in the grooves. Works fine for me.

And make sure you have the seal's lips pointed in the right direction!!

My Nephew told me that the engine his Dad rebuilt for him leaked at the rear seal. I told him to tell his Dad to turn the seals around so the lips pointed to the front of the block. Worked like a charm and my "big-headed", B-I-L never so much as thanked me! Sure didn't buy me a cold one.....

pdq67
R.Olds
Pro
Pro

Post by R.Olds »

thanks for the replies guys....Ill keep my fingers crossed I dont get a drooler.... :lol:
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

I normally offset the parting lines. But I've had no issues with them flat-to-flat provided a bit of crush was apparent. A dab of Valco or GM grey seal on the ends does it.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

I would always add be very careful not to get to much sealer on the pads between the cap and block mating surfaces. This can change clamping slightly, change bearing concentricity and clearances and setup leaks of its own.
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
wwmtlineman

Post by wwmtlineman »

Also lightly oil the seal, dont leave it dry when you set the crank in, sorry if that'
s overly basic info