cam spauling: Can I run this?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

falcongeorge
Expert
Expert

cam spauling: Can I run this?

Post by falcongeorge »

I have this roller cam I want to run it my street driven 327, its 262/266@050 .645 gross. 1.5 rockers, springs are 200 on the seat, 435 over the nose, steel 2.02sx1.60s, steel retainers and I am running a rev kit. It sees 7500 rpm. There is some spauling on one lobe, can I run this? Or repair? Grind out the damage, tig the pit, and get one lobe reground? I like this cam and budget is an issue. Thoughts?

williamsmotowerx
Expert
Expert

Re: cam spauling: Can I run this?

Post by williamsmotowerx »

Can't run that on a roller. For just a drag car it will last a little while, but destroy roller.

Is it custom ground or off the shelf.

Can be welded and ground depending on material. But that lobe will be slightly different
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

That belongs in the scrap bin.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

You also don't have enough spring pressure. That cam is a core.
falcongeorge
Expert
Expert

Post by falcongeorge »

williamsmotowerx wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:18 pm Can't run that on a roller. For just a drag car it will last a little while, but destroy roller.

Can be welded and ground depending on material. But that lobe will be slightly different
Thanks, I think that is what I will try. Grind the pit out with a small bit in my Foredom, tig it up, and take to my local cam guy and get the lobe reground. The base circle will be a little smaller, but I don't see that as a big hairy deal. @statsystems, how much spring do you think I need?
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

falcongeorge wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:49 pm
williamsmotowerx wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:18 pm Can't run that on a roller. For just a drag car it will last a little while, but destroy roller.

Thanks, I think that is what I will try. Grind the pit out with a small bit in my Foredom, tig it up, and take to my local cam guy and get the lobe reground. The base circle will be a little smaller, but I don't see that as a big hairy deal. @statsystems, how much spring do you think I need?
If the surrounding area of the lobe gets too hot, you will be annealing that area, and you will have more issues.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

CamKing wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:01 pm
falcongeorge wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:49 pm

If the surrounding area of the lobe gets too hot, you will be annealing that area, and you will have more issues.
Can that be ground out?
It looks big for the engine combo anyway.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
rp930
Pro
Pro

Post by rp930 »

Toast
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

It might run forever like that, or it might not.....I don't know.
But if you weld it, I think it will fail for sure.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

GARY C wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:14 pm Can that be ground out?
It looks big for the engine combo anyway.
No. The reason it pitted, is because they ground too much of the heat treat away. The hardened face, is too thin, and the softer backing material has given way, so the hard face cracks and flakes off.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
falcongeorge
Expert
Expert

Post by falcongeorge »

a follow up, I sent the same set of pics to Marco, at Shadbolts, the cam grinder that I usually deal with on stuff like this, he says "no problem, we fix this all the time, tig it up and we will re-grind the lobe". So I guess we will see what happens.