CHEVY 454 Big Block Gen VI Oil Filter Relocation

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Heinz1

CHEVY 454 Big Block Gen VI Oil Filter Relocation

Post by Heinz1 »

i have to install a Oil Filter reloction kit and Oil Cooler on my 454 Gen VI engine.
Plugged the two cooler line holes in the block, but what should i do with two oil pressure bypass valves ?
Use GM # 25161284 - 30 Psi bypass valves in both locations?
What do you recommend?

Thanks
Heinz
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: CHEVY 454 Big Block Gen VI Oil Filter Relocation

Post by ProPower engines »

According to GM when a oil cooler is not used the check valve that is the deepest in the block where the oil flow path is must be removed.
If you look straight down the center hole where the filter screws to the block the furthest in valve is pulled to prevent restricting oil flow to the engine.

I have done 100's this way and never an issue............... unless you plug the holes on the pan rail and leave the valve in place [-X
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Heinz1

Re: CHEVY 454 Big Block Gen VI Oil Filter Relocation

Post by Heinz1 »

Thanks for your answer.

Just found the Paper in the web.
I have excatly the discribt problem, i have Oil pressure but no Oil is going to the remote Oil Filter and Oil Cooler.
So, first i remove the center bypass valve and see what happens.

Heinz

Excerpt from Speed Reading - GM performance Parts.

Gen V and Gen VI big-block crate engines come with two oil pressure bypass valves installed in the engine blocks. Both of these valves are rated at 11 psi pressure differential. One valve is for the oil filter and the other is for the production oil cooler. If you install an after-market oil cooler or remote oil filter that attaches to the oil filter pad on the engine block, you should be aware that you need to change the oil filter bypass valve in the engine block. When you use an after-market cooler or remote filter that attaches to the filter pad, you are using only one of the bypass valves in the engine block. The after-market oil lines add resistance which will cause the bypass valve to bypass the after-market oil cooler and/or oil filter all the time. Obviously, if the cooler and filter are bypassed the oil will be dirty and hot. Your engine will run hotter and could be damaged by dirt in the oil. If you choose to use an after-market cooler or remote oil filter that attaches to the filter pad, you should change the bypass valve to one with a higher differential pressure rating.
A good choice would be GM # 25161284 which is rated at 30 psi. Remove the valve that is closest to the crankshaft and replace it with the new valve. Press the new valve into the engine block and stake it in three places. You should note that the bypass valves don't need to be changed if you use a production oil cooler which uses the production holes in the engine block and you don't use a remote oil filter. Also, if you use an adapter that just angles the filter for clearance you don't need to change the bypass valves.