Buying a 250 or 256 Roots type SBC blower kit.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Re: Buying a 250 or 256 Roots type SBC blower kit.

Post by Keith Morganstein »

The Whipple rotors look the same as the rotors in rotary screw air compressors. (Sullair, etc...)

Whipple sure is proud of them!
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Anybody know what happened to the K-F supercharger that was made from aluminum extrusions.

The two rotors, and the housing were sized so that all they had to do to make bigger/longer or smaller/shorter blowers was to just change the lengths of these three key parts.

They had one kit for a short time that fit the little Chevy V-6 engine and I think it was injected. I think it was the largest blower they sold? In fact I don't know if it was REALLY sold?? But it was only just a prototype...

pdq67
jred
Expert
Expert

Post by jred »

if your wanting to use a blower buy a real blower... dyers the blower shop or bds... I have 4 or 5 b&m blowers at my shop that are junk.. I used to rebuild them and even had dyers send some to me years ago..

their great blowers when their new and will fit under a hood of a chevy trucks 73/88 years the square ones..

the problem is that everybody wants more boost and these were made for about 5/7 pounds so people change the pulley size to up the over drive on them.. here's the problem rotors are 2 paddle straight rotors and extruded with Teflon tips and they run at about 50% overdrive 6000 rpm =12000 rpm rotor speed and it slings the tips off the rotors after it does this now you don't have any seal to the blower housing.. thus no boost..

most of the ones that i have are junk, the blower housing are worn out and scared..

for the price of 2900.00 dollars go for about a 1000.00 more and have a real blower for someone like dyers..
roots style 3 paddle and made much better then b&m holley or weiand... use a 6/71 and they make a single carb setup for that but all the ones that i have bought came with duels..also buy as a kit you can't hardly buy the peace's and put it together for what you can buy the kit for..all those company's will be more than happy to assist you in getting the right combo..

or better yet you could build a twin turbo set up if you can do most of the work yourself for that 3 grand and have it under the hood....