Late model engines overfueling at WOT

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Late model engines overfueling at WOT

Post by Truckedup »

Some guys claim a late model gasoline fuel vehicles, especially a truck, will run rich enough to push out black smoke when working hard...They claim turbo engines, like Ford Eco Boost trucks, will smoke like a Diesel when wide open....To be honest I have not noticed this... Is this true ? It would seem to me with all the sophisticated engine management controls that fueling would be spot on at about 12-1 A/F...Or am I missing something here?
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Late model engines overfueling at WOT

Post by Orr89rocz »

Seen some 5th gen camaros run in the 11's air fuel ratio wot. They pick up alot with a proper tune
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

Proper tune.....lol.

It's probably a built in safety margin so it doesn't detonate under sustained WOT when the temps start to creep up.

A "proper" tune can't do anything other than remove safety margin.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

once it get into pinging the timing retards and it stays retarded till you refill the tank. this is in case you get a bad tank of gas. i have been on road trip with my corvette club and the guys who ran regular instead of high test always needed more at the fill ups because their timing was retarded by the computer
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

joe 90 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:01 pm Proper tune.....lol.

It's probably a built in safety margin so it doesn't detonate under sustained WOT when the temps start to creep up.

A proper tune will make more power. But, it requires a driver who is intelligent.
A safe tune assumes the driver is less so. And, many are.
We all know the "drivers" who speak with pride about how many engines, transmission, etc. they've destroyed.
Zmechanic
Pro
Pro

Post by Zmechanic »

pamotorman wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:18 pm once it get into pinging the timing retards and it stays retarded till you refill the tank. this is in case you get a bad tank of gas. i have been on road trip with my corvette club and the guys who ran regular instead of high test always needed more at the fill ups because their timing was retarded by the computer
I've heard similar thing to this. Someone told me once GM retards indefinitely until you redo the tune up, others say it's constantly chasing an optimal value. Even though the engine is rated for the lowest octane, using higher octane will allow you to keep the timing in it and get an edge on the tune up.
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

I understand the engine management fattening the fuel/air mixture as a safeguard when the engine is pulling hard....But to the point of visible black smoke ?
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

joe 90 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:01 pm Proper tune.....lol.

Well duh. Ofcourse its a safety thing. Proper tune as in lean it out for max power it Will pick up. I see it quite often, i tune some cars

Most of the late model guys drag race. 11.0 air fuel aint gonna run hard
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

My Premium spec fuel '97 3800SC* Park Avenue (*with undersize driven pulley) would ping lightly at part throttle for a short time if I tanked up with mid-grade but would then switch to its low octane spark table and go quiet. It and all US-certified road vehicles were/are mandated to run frequent function tests while being driven, including checking the knock sensor(s) by briefly advancing the spark until knock is detected. Each such test would re-establish the degrees of knock margin and allow an immediate return to the more aggressive spark table.
I'm very confident that twenty years on cars are much smarter.
Also, many vehicles are calibrated to go rich after 'X' seconds of WOT to keep converter temps down.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Ed Wright
Pro
Pro

Post by Ed Wright »

Zmechanic wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:53 pm
pamotorman wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:18 pm once it get into pinging the timing retards and it stays retarded till you refill the tank. this is in case you get a bad tank of gas. i have been on road trip with my corvette club and the guys who ran regular instead of high test always needed more at the fill ups because their timing was retarded by the computer
I've heard similar thing to this. Someone told me once GM retards indefinitely until you redo the tune up, others say it's constantly chasing an optimal value. Even though the engine is rated for the lowest octane, using higher octane will allow you to keep the timing in it and get an edge on the tune up.
GM computers run an octane test at startup. It does not stay retarded until tuned again. Why in the hell would any fool put low octane gas in a Corvette?? What would be the point? Save two dollars on a fill up?
http://www.fastchip.com/
SS/JA 4156
Brian P
Guru
Guru

Post by Brian P »

Direct-injection gasoline engine are next in the spotlight of the emission control regulators - due to particulate-matter emissions.

"Particulate matter" is pretty much carbon.

And, lots of them do run rich under load (beyond the loads seen during emission control testing).

Just take a look at the inside of the tailpipe. Black! That's carbon ...
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

Ed Wright wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:58 pm
Zmechanic wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:53 pm
GM computers run an octane test at startup. It does not stay retarded until tuned again. Why in the hell would any fool put low octane gas in a Corvette?? What would be the point? Save two dollars on a fill up?
Lol you'd be surprised at what ppl do
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

MadBill wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:04 pm My Premium spec fuel '97 3800SC* Park Avenue (*with undersize driven pulley) would ping lightly at part throttle for a short time if I tanked up with mid-grade but would then switch to its low octane spark table and go quiet. It and all US-certified road vehicles were/are mandated to run frequent function tests while being driven, including checking the knock sensor(s) by briefly advancing the spark until knock is detected. Each such test would re-establish the degrees of knock margin and allow an immediate return to the more aggressive spark table.
I'm very confident that twenty years on cars are much smarter.
Also, many vehicles are calibrated to go rich after 'X' seconds of WOT to keep converter temps down.
Running it over rich is certainly not going to keep the converter temps down it will make them get MUCH hotter.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

EGT peaks at ~ 15:1 for gasoline and goes down as the AFR drops or rises from there. Running rich, there is no oxygen in the gas stream to ignite the excess fuel, so it acts to cool the converter.

Here's a quote I lifted from another forum:

"....The most I can find in GM manuals is :

Converter Protection Mode: The PCM constantly monitors the engine operation through inputs such as the oxygen sensor, and estimates conditions that could cause the catalytic converter to reach excessive temperatures. If the PCM determines that a converter overheat condition may occur, the system returns to open loop, and enriches the fuel mixture which, in turn, cools the converter.

Thus if you use your scanner and see the PCM go out of the norm of being in closed loop ( once engine is at normal operating temps) then you know COT has been triggered and then I would suggest tuning COT table, if you do not see a switch to closed loop I would not muck with COT for it could cause damage to cats."
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

MadBill wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:34 pm EGT peaks at ~ 15:1 for gasoline and goes down as the AFR drops or rises from there. Running rich, there is no oxygen in the gas stream to ignite the excess fuel, so it acts to cool the converter.

Here's a quote I lifted from another forum:

"....The most I can find in GM manuals is :

Converter Protection Mode: The PCM constantly monitors the engine operation through inputs such as the oxygen sensor, and estimates conditions that could cause the catalytic converter to reach excessive temperatures. If the PCM determines that a converter overheat condition may occur, the system returns to open loop, and enriches the fuel mixture which, in turn, cools the converter.

Thus if you use your scanner and see the PCM go out of the norm of being in closed loop ( once engine is at normal operating temps) then you know COT has been triggered and then I would suggest tuning COT table, if you do not see a switch to closed loop I would not muck with COT for it could cause damage to cats."
The catalytic converter's job is to consume unburned hydrocarbons in the exhaust stream. An over rich mixture will make the converters glow red hot and they have been known to catch stuff on fire. Maybe the thought is that if the EGT can get low enough it'll drop the converter temperature enough that it isn't hot enough to "light off" any more and thus cooling it. It seems like once it wasl hot enough it would keep itself hot enough.