Carb question

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

bobalattie
Carb question

Post by bobalattie »

Asphalt circle track application.. our rules allow us either a 4412, or any 4bbl Holley with a restrictor plate with 4 1” holes.. no rules against tapered spacers above the plate, however the spacer can only be a max of 1.25” including the gaskets and the restrictor plate.

I have a good 4412 that I’ve been pleased with.

I also have a hp 750 with vacuum secondaries that I haven’t run yet, but will be gone through by someone more competent than me for this application

Last but not least, I have a hp 390 that will be gone through if need be if it’s better suited to the restrictor plate.

Engine is 12:1 393 sbf, mildly ported 70 Windsor heads 1.94/1.60, Victor junior intake, 1 3/4-1 7/8 headers. 251/254 @.050 600 lift solid flat tappet (not yet aquired, but it’s what I have my eye on currently for a cam).
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Re: Carb question

Post by jmarkaudio »

What track length?
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
NormS
Vendor

Post by NormS »

Unless specifically outlawed, a four hole manifold stuffer would give the 4 barrels an advantage. I made one of these for a Wissota Late Model years ago, and that guy kicked ass for a whole season until the tech guys finally figured out what he had, at the last race of the season. The next year, the rules contained a new clause outlawing manifold stuffers.
Competition Fuel Systems Birch Run,MI. www.compfuelsystems.com/index.html 520-241-2787
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

NormS wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:33 am Unless specifically outlawed, a four hole manifold stuffer would give the 4 barrels an advantage. I made one of these for a Wissota Late Model years ago, and that guy kicked ass for a whole season until the tech guys finally figured out what he had, at the last race of the season. The next year, the rules contained a new clause outlawing manifold stuffers.
I agree, I'd work under the plate.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

remember jr Johnson's floating restrictor plate inside the intake plenum that was pulled up aginst the carb at WOT ??
bobalattie

Post by bobalattie »

Two tracks, large 1/4 and average 1/3..

I’m not sure what a intake stuffer is, could someone please PM me so I have an idea of what you are talking about?

Thank you
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

I would probably go with the 4 barrel as well, with at least a 600 for a carb.
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

one year SCCA put a restrictor plate on the BB corvette so the SB corvettes could run together. they specked the hole size for the 4 barrel carb but what we did was used the 3X2 set up with the same size restrictor plate hole and cleaned house because we had 2 more barrels.