which stock 4-pin hei module has more dwell...

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

sc2dave
Expert
Expert
Location: Los Angeles, in The People's republic of Kalifornia

Re: which stock 4-pin hei module has more dwell...

Post by sc2dave »

Truckedup wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:02 am
sc2dave wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:34 pm i need 2 HEI 4-pin modules for my motorcycle. Redline is around 11,000 or so. What brand/model HEI module has the most dwell in it? this is what I want to make; http://www.geocities.ws/loudgpz/GPZheiMod.gif
Are you looking for a lower cost module replacement or expect a performance increase? I assume the Kawasaki uses a mechanical advance unit?
I figured that I would need one with more dwell, because my bike redlines at 11,000 or so. Not looking for performance increase solely from module, since I will be running an MSD box.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

sc2dave wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:32 pm Not looking for performance increase solely from module, since I will be running an MSD box.
If you're using an MSD box, why do you need an HEI module?
sc2dave
Expert
Expert

Post by sc2dave »

Schurkey wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:53 pm
sc2dave wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:32 pm Not looking for performance increase solely from module, since I will be running an MSD box.
I was told that I couldn't hook up the MSD staight to the pickup coil. that I needed an ignitor before it
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

sc2dave wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:37 pm
I was told that I couldn't hook up the MSD staight to the pickup coil. that I needed an ignitor before it
WHICH MSD box?
Circlotron
Guru
Guru

Post by Circlotron »

Geoff2 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:50 am The reluctor signal is an AC sine wave that is proportional to rpm.
Schurkey wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:48 pm 1. The HEI pickup coil signal is NOT a sine-wave. It's assymetric, where the voltage builds from - towards + relatively slowly, but goes from peak + to - very suddenly. This is intentional, because it makes the trigger "non-mistakeable" to the module--the plummeting of voltage on the + to - swing.
Here is a reluctor signal from a MSD #8361 distributor and a sine wave for comparison.
Just winding over distributor by hand.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Yup, it is a sine wave, but distorted.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

Schurkey wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:13 pm
WHICH MSD box?
I agree that seems totally wrong.
MSD's picup circuit (at least in the modern stuff, like the timing retard computers) the VR trigger is 2-4x more sensitive than a HEI module.
Is this an antique msd box?
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

If it's a sine wave but distorted ......................it's NOT a sine wave.

Still AC though.

But still NOT a sine wave.

Either it is or it is not?
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

sc2dave wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:32 pm
Truckedup wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:02 am
sc2dave wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:34 pm i need 2 HEI 4-pin modules for my motorcycle. Redline is around 11,000 or so. What brand/model HEI module has the most dwell in it? this is what I want to make; http://www.geocities.ws/loudgpz/GPZheiMod.gif
Are you looking for a lower cost module replacement or expect a performance increase? I assume the Kawasaki uses a mechanical advance unit?
I figured that I would need one with more dwell, because my bike redlines at 11,000 or so. Not looking for performance increase solely from module, since I will be running an MSD box.
Is the engine modified? The stock "CDI' systems can work reliably at 11,000 rpm, yes?
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
sc2dave
Expert
Expert

Post by sc2dave »

Schurkey wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:13 pm
WHICH MSD box?
MSD box MC2 part no. 4220 i believe . Stock cdi is probably defective, that's why I want to go this route. I had an MC3 box on this bike before, for about 14 years. Ran great with it
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

MC2 Instructions
http://www.mpsracing.com/instructions/MSD/MC2.pdf
The MC2 can't be used with CDI ignitions. Honda says my bike has CDI, but they're lying--it's a plain ol' inductive ignition. Apparently, Honda doesn't grasp the difference between "transistor controlled inductive" and CDI. I don't know about other bikes and CDI vs. Inductive.
sc2dave
Expert
Expert

Post by sc2dave »

My bike's not cd, just like yours. I get 12 v. at the coils when i turn on the key, with the stock ignition.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

joe 90,
I suggest you brush up on your electronics. The upper display in Cirlotron's post is a distorted sine wave. Many references on the net & in electrical theory text books on the subject.

The lower display is that of a pure or ideal sine wave.
JohnP
Pro
Pro

Post by JohnP »

sc2dave:

Your stock ignition tested bad.

Forget "which module has more dwell".

If you aren't going to swap out the failed module, you need to look for something that can be triggered by your bike's ignition trigger system. It could be points, magnetic pickup, or Hall effect.

Then you can search for something compatible with the trigger system that can either fire the coils directly, or trigger your MSD.
Thinking is hard work.
sc2dave
Expert
Expert

Post by sc2dave »

JohnP wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:57 am sc2dave:

Your stock ignition tested bad.

Forget "which module has more dwell".

If you aren't going to swap out the failed module, you need to look for something that can be triggered by your bike's ignition trigger system. It could be points, magnetic pickup, or Hall effect.

Then you can search for something compatible with the trigger system that can either fire the coils directly, or trigger your MSD.
ok. I'll see if i can install a dual pickup, then wire each one to a trigger on the MSD. Thanks!