Exhaust valve groove.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

wilson1970
Exhaust valve groove.

Post by wilson1970 »

I have had to replace one SBC 1.60 exhaust valve. Dropped on floor just right and slight bend. Anyway i ordered a replacement (Manley Street Flo) and it is a single groove. Old valves are Manley Street Flo double groove. Do they not make double groove valves any longer? Can I use single groove valve locks on a double groove valve? Any help much appreciated.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: Exhaust valve groove.

Post by ProPower engines »

This sounds like a dodge engine of some sort but yes you can use the same retainer as long as you use the same degree locks.
7 degree locks are the industry standard and if they are an 8mm or 3/8" stem a std. single groove lock set will work fine.
However the valve will not rotate as it was originally designed to do.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

wilson1970 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:43 am I have had to replace one SBC 1.60 exhaust valve. Dropped on floor just right and slight bend. Anyway i ordered a replacement (Manley Street Flo) and it is a single groove. Old valves are Manley Street Flo double groove. Do they not make double groove valves any longer? Can I use single groove valve locks on a double groove valve? Any help much appreciated.
is the extra groove for the OEM "O" ring oil seal that chevy used to use ??
wilson1970

Post by wilson1970 »

Its the standard exhaust valve size 11/32 stem. Any ideas why Manley would have stopped making double groove valve stem?
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

If it is a stock replacement sm blk valve from what I have been told if you order a single replacement and do not request the seal groove you get the single groove valve as the current GM sm blk engines do not use the seal groove any more.

Last week I ordered some for a street stock deal as they said they must use a valve with a seal groove as they believed the non dual grooved valves were a race valve and that was how they were to control cost.

But you may have to order a set of 8 only unless specified to get a valve with the seal groove.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors