Chinese juuk?????

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

oldhead
Expert
Expert

Chinese juuk?????

Post by oldhead »

The year was 1996 and I bought Chinese crank & rods For my SBC-400 which was a GM block with 4 bolt steel caps, and a 871. Went to the dyno,made 39 pulls, made 750 hp. Put in a 3800#car and ran it for years at the track,turning low 10s at 130...Sold it to a friend he put a wilder cam and heads went up to 850 hp and ran it for years, sold to another friend who added 250 nitrous, he ran 3 runs making orer 950 hp turning 8.80 in a 3500# car and blew it up. Would you call it Chinese JUNK Oldhead
Quicker then most
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Re: Chinese juuk?????

Post by Keith Morganstein »

oldhead wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:05 pm The year was 1996 and I bought Chinese crank & rods For my SBC-400 which was a GM block with 4 bolt steel caps, and a 871. Went to the dyno,made 39 pulls, made 750 hp. Put in a 3800#car and ran it for years at the track,turning low 10s at 130...Sold it to a friend he put a wilder cam and heads went up to 850 hp and ran it for years, sold to another friend who added 250 nitrous, he ran 3 runs making orer 950 hp turning 8 in a 3500# car and blew it up. Would you call it Chinese JUNK Oldhead
I would call it "lucky long-time"
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

Depends on which junk it was. I am assuming Eagle? That stuff has pretty much proven to be decent, and hold up.

And how did it blow up? What failed?
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

[/quote] Would you call it Chinese JUNK Oldhead
[/quote]

Sounds like it is now.... :D
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

some chinese junk isnt that bad, but some is, and the main problem is that there is no way of knowing whats what without gambling your hard earned money.
Fireonthemountain
Pro
Pro

Post by Fireonthemountain »

lefty o wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:23 pm some chinese junk isnt that bad, but some is, and the main problem is that there is no way of knowing whats what without gambling your hard earned money.
Generally, you gamble much less of your hard earned dollars with the Chinese products, and much much more, with any supposed USA products. On another thread on another forum, some US stainless headers a guy paid $1,200 were of lower quality he posted, than some $150 Ebay Stainless headers from China, for the same Olds motors. Tuner posted a link to an ebay Chinese, $10 coil to your door that probably will out do most American "high performance" after market coils. He has been using the same type for decades he said, but sold by Standard. I ordered both standard and Chinese off Ebay, just to see for a little over $26 total delivered.

Small gambles that can pay off big are possible.....
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Most Chinese “junk” is just Americans looking to have something made in cheaper labor markets for higher profit. Some of them are your peers at the track. The Chinese can also make very high quality parts - but that also means your profit margin dwindles (or the product costs are comparable with here). Made in the USA doesn’t mean quality by default either.

A lot of this stuff is made by machines anyway. Everyone wants to bemoan automation, but look at the availability and price/ quality of billet parts.

Ultimately, it’s up to the buyer to know what they’re buying.
-Bob
GT50

Post by GT50 »

A lot of parts that are Chinese they are good because some of them are made from major companies like rooler bearings from Fag, calippers fromHelios,a lot of parts are only made in China but with the major campanies beind. They even have their own factories there. Most everything is made in China because of the labor cost. I always say " QUALITY " has a price but a lot of look for a bargin.
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

hoffman900 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:07 pm Most Chinese “junk” is just Americans looking to have something made in cheaper labor markets for higher profit. Some of them are your peers at the track. The Chinese can also make very high quality parts - but that also means your profit margin dwindles (or the product costs are comparable with here). Made in the USA doesn’t mean quality by default either.

A lot of this stuff is made by machines anyway. Everyone wants to bemoan automation, but look at the availability and price/ quality of billet parts.

Ultimately, it’s up to the buyer to know what they’re buying.
absolutely agree, its all about people buying the cheapest they can.
Zmechanic
Pro
Pro

Post by Zmechanic »

I think there's a correlation with people who want the cheapest of the cheap being the same people who won't follow proper procedures to ensure a good build. This compounds the "chinese junk" perception. Make no mistake, there is some junk out there. But there are also decent parts. There are places it can work just fine. There are also applications where it has no place.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

I bought a new Eagle forged 4340 3" ESP Armor crank that they rate at 1500 hp!

I also bought their 6.25" long forged "I"-beam rods and was going to use them until I discovered that they are only rated at something like 400 to 500 hp so I sent them back and got their "H"-beam rods instead. rated hp-wise more in line with their crank is why!

pdq67

PS., oh, and the crank is a work of art!
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

pdq67 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:02 pm I bought a new Eagle forged 4340 3" ESP Armor crank that they rate at 1500 hp!

I also bought their 6.25" long forged "I"-beam rods and was going to use them until I discovered that they are only rated at something like 400 to 500 hp so I sent them back and got their "H"-beam rods instead. rated hp-wise more in line with their crank is why!

pdq67

PS., oh, and the crank is a work of art!
Just a word of advice, check every dimension on that work of art including the snout. Can't count the number of eagle cranks I've had to grind because of tapered/out of round journals. I've seen oil slingers that were wrong diameter or in the wrong place (Pontiac and SBM). Also BBCs with stock rod length and pistons hitting counterweights. Don't forget the file like thrusts. They may have gotten better, but in years past they were some real projects.
On their I-beams, check the material. That will explain the low rating.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

Most motors are killed by tuneup experts and drivers.

...though I've never met one of either persuasion that wasn't a candidate for crucifixion.....
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

..or canonization....
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Some years back, I made a couple of trips to China and visited many factories. The Chinese factories are capable of making products as good as anyone's anywhere. But the quality the end user sees is all in the QC or lack thereof. The Europeans and Japanese companies known for quality which have subsidiaries in China have their own QC staff on site and every part gets inspected before it leaves the factory. Each team and each machine is scored as to defects produced.

Where US buyers get screwed is when a seller thinks he can just order parts on line from China, have them shipped to a warehouse here and then on to the buyer without him opening a box or lifting a finger to check anything. The buyer then sometimes gets the middle finger.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering