Holley Parts Source

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Krooser
Guru
Guru

Holley Parts Source

Post by Krooser »

Ok... so I'm ready to clean and install new gaskets in my old Barry Grant Holley 750 DP.

It's a real old carb that's been converted to run alky. Going to keep this... looks nice and clean and in good shape but it's been on the shelf for 20 years.

I did a little disassembly... I see it has red bowl gaskets.

What do you guys recommend.... a carb kit plus the correct PV, accelerator pumps and jets or order all the bits and pieces separately.

And from what supplier?
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Re: Holley Parts Source

Post by BOOT »

BLP or Allstate carb & fuel injection have lots of odds n ends listed on their websites.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

if holley sells a 750 DP alky carb just buy the kit they recommend for that carb
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

pamotorman wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:57 am if holley sells a 750 DP alky carb just buy the kit they recommend for that carb
This carb has RED bowl and metering block gaskets which some guys like better than the blue ones when running alky. Holley's "Quick Fuel" outfit has an alky kit with red gaskets... might give those a try.

Looks to me that the the last guy in my carb used silver paint on the metering block gasket behind the PV... speed secret?
amc fan
Expert
Expert

Post by amc fan »

Are you sure the silver paint is not neverseize
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

Krooser wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:29 pm
pamotorman wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:57 am if holley sells a 750 DP alky carb just buy the kit they recommend for that carb
This carb has RED bowl and metering block gaskets which some guys like better than the blue ones when running alky. Holley's "Quick Fuel" outfit has an alky kit with red gaskets... might give those a try.

Looks to me that the the last guy in my carb used silver paint on the metering block gasket behind the PV... speed secret?
RED are ok for use with methanol as are the green as far as I know but RED are NOT cool at all with street gasoline that contains ethanol for some reason. It'll eat up the gaskets and make them get crumbly in no time.
Ks Fats
Pro
Pro

Post by Ks Fats »

You'll get more life out of the graphite gaskets from Braswell; been using them on methanol and e-85.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Never thought the silver might be never seize. Years ago we routinely used silver paint on head gaskets as a non-stick coating. NS would make sense.

I looked over Braswell's web site but really didn't see their gaskets or maybe I'm blind. I often go all out old school and pick up the phone to order parts... especially when I don't see what I need online which is often.

So I wound up ordering direct from Holley/Quick Fuel. Bought their alky kit for a 750 DP. Got the middle of the road one without every part known to man. This carb only has 18 nights on it from new. Nice clean old carb... has the extra holes drilled above the jets that they did before the newer style big jets. It worked fine for the previous original owner... hope it does the same for me.
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

Bought a PV from quick fuel and noticed the gaskets are red, superior to the Holleys that fall apart
Better for our ethanol laced pump Im guessing? Same price (same with needle/seat assys)..get it together Holley!
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

Braswell gasket.
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

some people used chap stick to prevent the gasket from sticking but i never tried it.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Lots of good info here...got to hang around Mark's site a bit... lots of good carb info there.

I got this carb with the engine I bought that was blowed up. I was kinda leery when I saw the PO drag it out from under the bench but it's really nice and clean inside for a carb redone way back in the 90's. Never messed with alky with a carb... new deal for me. I do have a fellow racing buddy who has plenty of experience and can help me along.
shiftbyear

Post by shiftbyear »

Braswell's website has the silver gaskets listed in their category column under gaskets, when you click on the gaskets heading it opens up the page, the silver gaskets are called "premium gaskets". Good luck with your carb.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

shiftbyear wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:08 am Braswell's website has the silver gaskets listed in their category column under gaskets, when you click on the gaskets heading it opens up the page, the silver gaskets are called "premium gaskets". Good luck with your carb.
I'm learning something everyday...