Engine Dyno Water Tank location

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

R.Brown
Pro
Pro

Engine Dyno Water Tank location

Post by R.Brown »

Does anyone have experience with locating the dyno water tank ABOVE the cell? Not interested in debating the weight of this, just of the plumbing pitfalls I may be overlooking.
There would be some pumping losses with the return water to the tank, and the supply water valve would have to be turned off when not running the dyno.. what else am I missing?

This is 100% an effort to save floor space...
cheers,
RB
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru
Re: Engine Dyno Water Tank location

Post by DaveMcLain »

I've seen that done before where they had the tank mounted above the dyno room. Some water brake absorbers don't like to pump water up hill but you could probably work out some sort of sump arrangement to return the water to the tank if that was the case.
R.Brown
Pro
Pro

Post by R.Brown »

Thanks for the input Dave,

Yeah, with the current layout, my brake already dumps water to a reservoir below, and a pump cycles (triggered by a float) to move the water back to the tank, so like you said, that won't be much of an issue.
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

I'm not sure on other dynos but on Stuska the inlet check valve needs to have a stiffer spring to account for the higher head when the pump isn't running. Otherwise you'll dump the reservoir water through the brake. The check valve can be taken apart for spring replacement.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Post by racear2865 »

My reservoir tank is mounted 1 foot above the water absorber. Reason being so the pump never starves for water and cannot have air pocket so it looses its prime. On the brake outlet side, I pump into a 5o gallon tank that is below the pump outlet and have it hooked to another pump that returns it to the reservoir. I have a float system in that tank to turn the pump on and off.
reed
R.Brown
Pro
Pro

Post by R.Brown »

SupStk wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:11 am I'm not sure on other dynos but on Stuska the inlet check valve needs to have a stiffer spring to account for the higher head when the pump isn't running. Otherwise you'll dump the reservoir water through the brake. The check valve can be taken apart for spring replacement.
hmm, mine is the Depac ADL, which has an o-ring sealed blade, but to be safe, I'd need to run a shut off valve at the tank.
R.Brown
Pro
Pro

Post by R.Brown »

racear2865 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:10 am My reservoir tank is mounted 1 foot above the water absorber. Reason being so the pump never starves for water and cannot have air pocket so it looses its prime. On the brake outlet side, I pump into a 5o gallon tank that is below the pump outlet and have it hooked to another pump that returns it to the reservoir. I have a float system in that tank to turn the pump on and off.
reed
Hi Reed, our brake outlet plumbing sounds similar, tho my water tank was always at ground level before.
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

R.Brown wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:59 am
SupStk wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:11 am I'm not sure on other dynos but on Stuska the inlet check valve needs to have a stiffer spring to account for the higher head when the pump isn't running. Otherwise you'll dump the reservoir water through the brake. The check valve can be taken apart for spring replacement.
hmm, mine is the Depac ADL, which has an o-ring sealed blade, but to be safe, I'd need to run a shut off valve at the tank.
Far as I know the depak ADL is a data acquisition system that can be adapted to various manufacturers brakes. Which brake do you have?
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
R.Brown
Pro
Pro

Post by R.Brown »

SupStk wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:53 pm
R.Brown wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:59 am
Far as I know the depak ADL is a data acquisition system that can be adapted to various manufacturers brakes. Which brake do you have?

Depac does have data acquisition, but they also have a separate load control (ADL).

My brake is a Stuska... the plumbing goes from the tank to the pump, then to the ADL valve, which is on top of the brake. If I continue with the plan to move the tank above the cell, I will need a main shut off as I don't trust the sealing ability of the ADL valve to stop the gravity flow down to the brake when not in use.

I've had three stuska dynos, and I don't remember ever seeing an inlet check valve, but perhaps yours is the Stuska (Powertest) load control, of which I have no experience.

For my curiosity, where is this check valve located?

cheers,
rb
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

R Brown, I actually have two Stuska dynos. The old one is the early 800 unit which has the control and shut off valve on the console. The other is a Stuska is the gold line trackmaster which is the system that Powertest sells. Its the onebwith the check valve.
If you want I can send pics of the check valve and manifold.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
R.Brown
Pro
Pro

Post by R.Brown »

SupStk wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:47 pm R Brown, I actually have two Stuska dynos. The old one is the early 800 unit which has the control and shut off valve on the console. The other is a Stuska is the gold line trackmaster which is the system that Powertest sells. Its the onebwith the check valve.
If you want I can send pics of the check valve and manifold.
Gotcha, thanks for the offer, but we are talking apples and oranges on the hookup.

cheers,
ryan
StandUpToFight

Post by StandUpToFight »

Greetings.
I work as an engineer for Powertest.
For all water brakes I would say it is a reqiurement to have a sump for the dyno drain that is below the dyno, controlled by a float switch. I would never want to use the dyno to pump water, load control becomes dificult. Superflow and, Stuska have different inlet control schemes, but for Stuska Trackmaster the check valve spring on the inlet is sized according to the head expected on the inlet when not running.
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

R.Brown wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:28 pm Does anyone have experience with locating the dyno water tank ABOVE the cell? Not interested in debating the weight of this, just of the plumbing pitfalls I may be overlooking.
There would be some pumping losses with the return water to the tank, and the supply water valve would have to be turned off when not running the dyno.. what else am I missing?

This is 100% an effort to save floor space...
cheers,
RB
How about this: 4x4
Vortecpro shop 21.jpg
Vortecpro shop 21.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.