Vortec 350 distributor cap life.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

af2
Guru
Guru

Re: Vortec 350 distributor cap life.

Post by af2 »

Ed Wright wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:10 pm The Vortec truck distributor caps sweat & carbon track worse than most. We learned to stocked up on them at my shop in Oct each year. NAPA would always run out, had my own put back. Use brass, not alum posts.

They are not originally vented. I drilled a 1/16" hole in the top of the square recess that would face the firewall. There are two, they look like where something would snap in place there. The hole comes out between 2 plug wire posts inside. Never had a customer have another cap issue after that. I used to cut pieces from old caps to epoxy in place to shield water from the vent holes I drilled. Facing the firewall, not visible.
Got to replace a lot of those caps every fall. Temp changes in the damp air made them sweat badly. I had a very busy shop that only did AC work, tuning, drivability & diagnostics, on only Ford & GM vehicles, for over 40 years. Got to see a lot of stuff like this.
I found NAPA (Echlin) caps to last better than any others I tried.
Thanks Ed!!
I am going to pull the bonnet and cap and try that. We get a bit of rain here about 50" and I am sure rfoll gets a bit more further north.
GURU is only a name.
Adam