Exhaust system crutch for too big of header pipe?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

NXBOY
Pro
Pro

Exhaust system crutch for too big of header pipe?

Post by NXBOY »

For a Foxbody all I could find was 1 5/8 and have seen the difference in raising torque band going from 1 1/2 to 1 5/8 on a mild 302, probably 360 hp or around. I believe If i run a consertative full exhaust with a little smaller OD that it should help low end torque. Will have a H-pipe and ran to rear end and 1 foot dumps. Will try to find some tail pipes used as this will help as well. Wouldn't 2.5 inch OD with hardly any bends to mufflers be sufficient? 3 inch be easier since 3 inch collectors and mufflers but 60 ft is what I always care about in the 1/8. I know your limited by your exhaust as to exhaust flow from head. Also do to oval opening I suspect flow will be only in the 160-165 range do to narrow port opening. Going to try to open them up some, usually gain a .100 by welding outer flange and grinding weld out on inside. Sometimes all the little details add up. I need little projects too lol.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: Exhaust system crutch for too big of header pipe?

Post by mag2555 »

For the best bottom end you should try to rig up a way to play with where the H pipe crossover goes in!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
NXBOY
Pro
Pro

Post by NXBOY »

I suspect that helps scavenging and that would help torque. Just want to be sure the boy has some fun off the line. Been decades since I went 7s in the 1/8. I hate having OCD :oops:
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

More info on the combo might give you other possible solutions
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Choking down the exhaust would do nothing to crutch the primary size. BUT 1-5/8" vs. 1 -1/2" is likely to be an undetectable difference anyway, absent an accurate dyno, and 2 -1/2" exhaust is way more than enough for 360 HP (but won't hurt, if its popularity expands your component choices compared to smaller diameter pieces.)
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Casper393W
Pro
Pro

Post by Casper393W »

The system you decribe will be sufficient way past your power level!
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

Low rpm likes longer effective collector length
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Merging everything into a single tailpipe towards the rear of the car will help.
-Bob
NXBOY
Pro
Pro

Post by NXBOY »

Thanks for the Idea, If my converter does its job then I'. worried about nothing. Back in my Teen days with pinto comverters and crane commander cams with low compression 302s it would take little with a single plane to raise the toque band out of the home made converters limited stall speed. My last motor was a 501 bigblock pump gas deal 5.80s in 1/8 and before that 351w in the 6.70s and 5 on a 100 nx shot back in the late 90s. Been near 80s since I messed with this small of motor and I don't think as good as I used to. My son will be happy with a 8 second ride for a while but I don't want to fall asleep watching lol. Still wish someone made a cheap 1 1/2 header like they used to for the fox.I think it would hit converter harder and not hurt power one bit. Just dont want to over exhaust pipe it as well. Had plenty of smallblocks run faster and MPH better with exhaust. One was ported for nitrous and figured it was over scavenging the intake right out the exhaust when ran N/A. Thanks again...,ED