Looking for Viper keepers

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Brooks Elliott

Looking for Viper keepers

Post by Brooks Elliott »

I'm working on some '06 Viper heads and can't find the correct keepers. Customer brought bare heads. Manley valves with .311" stems, round keeper groove, Ti retainers are 7*, round bead at the top would be perfect. These are the same keepers used in Dodge magnum 5.2 and 5.9, early 90's Jeep 4.0, 2.5. Those keepers are plentiful, but wanting a hardened keeper. I've found plenty of keepers with the bead in the middle(LS style), and some with no mention of where the bead is. Any help would be appreciated.
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru
Re: Looking for Viper keepers

Post by Frankshaft »

The answer to you question is in your post. Manley should have them.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Brooks Elliott wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:08 am I'm working on some '06 Viper heads and can't find the correct keepers. Customer brought bare heads. Manley valves with .311" stems, round keeper groove, Ti retainers are 7*, round bead at the top would be perfect. These are the same keepers used in Dodge magnum 5.2 and 5.9, early 90's Jeep 4.0, 2.5. Those keepers are plentiful, but wanting a hardened keeper. I've found plenty of keepers with the bead in the middle(LS style), and some with no mention of where the bead is. Any help would be appreciated.
I don't know how hard they are but, some Mercedes 8mm steel valve locks have the single bead at the top.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Brooks Elliott

Post by Brooks Elliott »

Frankshaft wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:25 am The answer to you question is in your post. Manley should have them.
Thanks for trying to help, Frank, but I'm well aware of what "should be". Manley and Crower 'should' mention where the bead is in their keepers in their catalogs. Or maybe, I 'should' know that all beads are in the middle unless otherwise stated. Those companies 'should' return phone calls to their tech department within a few days.

What I'm looking for is someone who knows of, without a doubt or guess, of a keeper with specs I spelled out in my orig post.
Brooks Elliott

Post by Brooks Elliott »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:51 am
Brooks Elliott wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:08 am I'm working on some '06 Viper heads and can't find the correct keepers. Customer brought bare heads. Manley valves with .311" stems, round keeper groove, Ti retainers are 7*, round bead at the top would be perfect. These are the same keepers used in Dodge magnum 5.2 and 5.9, early 90's Jeep 4.0, 2.5. Those keepers are plentiful, but wanting a hardened keeper. I've found plenty of keepers with the bead in the middle(LS style), and some with no mention of where the bead is. Any help would be appreciated.
I don't know how hard they are but, some Mercedes 8mm steel valve locks have the single bead at the top.
Thanks, but I think 8mm and .311" aren't quite close enough to use.
kosky racing

Post by kosky racing »

check victory valves we use them on our hemi heads
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Si may have them.

Remember this is the holiday season... many folks have off during this time of year so response time will be longer.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

One approach would be to pop for a single pair of any promising candidates...

The link's variable cam timing kit looks interesting and puzzling. I'll eschew the hi-jack and bring it to a new thread... :-k
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.