SBC heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Krooser
Guru
Guru

Re: SBC heads

Post by Krooser »

Maybe they were heavily milled then the intake ports were welded up and ported to straighten out the ssr....
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
DCal
Expert
Expert

Post by DCal »

foxchassis wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:04 pm Usually when you mill a head that hard you are into the intake seat ring at the same time. Then the valve job is sunk considerable.
You end up with a bad top cut to chamber area unless someone did a good job of blending. Hope they did not reverse angle mill them.
Dwight
Reverse milling was my first reaction but maybe not. To check put a protractor on the valve and head deck, it should be 23degrees, if it comes out 24 or higher it is reverse angle milled, if it comes out 23 its been flat milled, and if it comes out 22 or less its been angle milled in the normal direction. Either way I wouldn't want to be your piston maker, you'd have to send them a cyl. head.
geraldtson

Post by geraldtson »

Can't understand valve cover rail,maybe just been butchered up. Just wondering if just maybe intake runner floors were at one time welded up for hidden (under intake) nitrous nozzle bosses then for whatever reason (rewelded plugged) and reworked?
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

Plenty of times when I mill heads (a lot) and then correcting the intake face I get near or into the valve cover bolt hole. Most production iron SBC heads flat milled .060” and corrected, its getting close. I’ve done some bow-ties that I angle milled and then flat milled a bunch more. After correcting, about 1/4 of the bolt hole gone. The bottom of the port so thin that I made pieces and screwed them under the port so it would seal to the intake manifold. (Cast iron and No welding allowed)
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
Baprace
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Baprace »

I'm wondering if the deck height is different ? do the heads fit your block and will the intake line up ?
rocketracer380
Pro
Pro

Post by rocketracer380 »

I'll mock it up this week
steve316
Expert
Expert

Post by steve316 »

I ran heads like that in the late 1980's with no problem. Today they are heads that are way better; Put them on and if you can get them sealed up no problem.