Valve springs

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Mark Williams
Valve springs

Post by Mark Williams »

How much pressure does a Valve spring loose during break in?
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru
Re: Valve springs

Post by rustbucket79 »

Impossible to answer. Could be nothing, might be a small percentage. Details?
Caprimaniac
Guru
Guru

Post by Caprimaniac »

Hopefully not much... Some have reported 0%, but I guess it will all depend on.... Type of spring, material, etc.
How to turn GURU in an instant.....
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

I have only seen defective springs drop pressure more then 5 lbs or so during break in, but the first time or Two that the motor buzzes to 6K can be a different story depending on the spring!

Are we talking a Hydro flat tappet Cam here?
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams »

Mild hyd roller in a bbc.
PAC hot Rod springs 145 lbs seat 320 lbs open at 1.900” installed height.
Probably going to install at 1.880”
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

If you have the needed .015" shims then I would go for 155 on the Intakes and 150 on the exh.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
panic
Guru
Guru

Post by panic »

My guess: springs with steeper pitch (distance between coils) will suffer more.
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

Mark Williams wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:56 pm How much pressure does a Valve spring loose during break in?
Springs do not lose pressure because they do not produce pressure; they might lose spring force.

Spring force is determined by spring rate multiplied by the spring displacement.
A spring with a 200#/in rate, when compressed 1/2" will exert a force of 100 lbs.

Assuming that material properties have not changed, then a loss of force is due to a change in free length.

Measure the free length of a new spring. Compress the spring in a vise to solid stacking length.
Let it sit for a few days. Measure the free length and compare to the original free length.

The difference in free length multiplied by the spring rate will indicate the loss of spring force.
If the change in length is small, shims can be used to regain the target force. If large, the spring must
be replaced with a higher grade of spring.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

I keep meaning to put a big bolt, washers and nut through one or more p.n. springs, reef it/them down to coil bind then every six months or so remove and check installed height load, to de-bunk (my guess) or confirm the need to back off rocker arms for long-term storage.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Roundybout
Pro
Pro

Post by Roundybout »

5-7lbs loss seems the limit often cited. Is that installed height? Full lift? I'd imagine some 350lb seat springs, that amount wouldn't be much percentage wise but 120-130 seat that's starting to matter more. How important is it that the springs all match as opposed to a 5-7lb +/- variance?
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

My personal opinion...take that for what its worth. Lol. I believe heat has more to do with springs losing tension, some poorly made springs nothing will help because of the metallurgy isn't right. Keep a good quality spring cool and within its working limits and you will be fine. Overload it with valve float or not have enough oil flow to keep the heat under control and the metal will lose its temper and get soft.