2300 Ford

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

DJ58

Re: 2300 Ford

Post by DJ58 »

MaxFlow wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:14 am Are you planning on restricting the oil hole between the block and head surface? .080. The holes in the cam lobes are where the most oil comes. I've seen cams with 1/8 lobe oiling holes and they flood things quickly.

I'd watch when you do that because it bypasses the oil pump more and will strain the dizzy gear if running one and a 3/16 roll pin will be an absolute and it should be that size with a roller cam anyway.

Running big lift (>.720) and low duration(< 260) you can't restrict the oil before the cam lobe. It will wipe out the cam bearings quickly. Back when I use to run triple springs on those things it was a religious event to change the cam bearings regularly.

I don't know specifically your setup but if you post that up I'll try to assist.

MaxFlow, sounds like you are tapping the oil feed hole from the block into the head to 1/8 inch npt and drilling the restrictor hole in the pipe plug. seems to be a good idea and you don't have to buy one.
never to old to learn more.

Thanks
Dan
S.W. Mi

sorry my spelling and grammar stinks
it keeps me from posting much
turbo2256b
Pro
Pro
Re: 2300 Ford

Post by turbo2256b »

35 some years ago redid the oil feed to the cam into a spray bar like the early 2000 cc motors. Dont remember how I DID IT but never had any cam follower wear after that.