Junk yard 454 build up

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Junk yard 454 build up

Post by prairiehotrodder »

Hey guys i've been putting together a low buck 454 with parts i had kicking around. Here is the video if you need some cheap entertainment. Part 2 should be in a week.

Brian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybevTogk16U
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Re: Junk yard 454 build up

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

The low cr makes it a good base for a budget blower motor.

8-71 roots..... TorqStorm bolt on and go.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

I thought he was going into new territory... that motor is pretty much the same as every motor I did for the first 20 years after high school...
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
tchapps88

Post by tchapps88 »

ah i love competiton products stuffed engines, built one very similar one time, it was in a 71 nova my buddy bought and the 454 in it was a turd, turned out to be bored .030 over at one time and the bore was in good shape but had dished pistons with stock 781s, was probably not even 7.5:1 :lol: had a crane single pattern cam in it that was 284/ 228@ .050 .544 lift, completely to big for what it was at the time i think, a performer intake, performer 600 carb, and crap 1-7/8 headers with individual flanges that ate gaskets like candy.

got the same valves you did, had local engine shop guy put them in and do a port job on them, for some reason he left the 1.72 exhaust valves in, idk why, something about the seats couldnt be cut that far or something, buddy who owned the engine dealt with the guy not me so dont really remember the story. i ended up picking a small cam that i thought was big at the time but it worked great, it was an elgin with 224/234 @.050, kb hyper 18cc domes which at the time added $400 to the build and had to fight to get him to buy them but glad i got my way. Had stock rods honed for floating pins, new bearings, and put it back together, i will never forget we put the first 7 pistons and rods in with no issues and on the last one got it started and he told me it was line up so i sent it home and he had is finger in the way and got jamed between the rod and crank and he was jumping around trying to get his finger out and ended up getting stiches, kinda funny thinking back on it now. finished it with an rpm airgap intake, 700 double pumper, hooker comp headers and basic felpro gasket kit.

that engine in that little nova was a riot, didnt mind reving to 6500, with the th400 and ratchet shifter he would shift it around 6000 playing, never seen a track or dyno, i would guess it was 475HP. It was nothing special but lots of fun.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

This is my 5th motor like this. All but one are still going strong. The first one i built had the oil pump pickup fall off after 2 summers of abuse. Now its a 496. It ran 11.5 in a 89 mustang before it became a 496. It had an isky solid cam and an rpm air gap intake. The motor in the video got the comp big mutha thumper cam and a old holley street dominator intake and a 750 holley vacuum carb. Part 2 is on its way. I know this type of build is way below the grade of what most guys on here like to build but just look at it as entertainment. These are great starter motors for getting young guys into the hobby.
Brian
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Its just right and ready for Nitrous Oxide street racing.
I used to run a very similar "Low BucK" low cr oval port 454 with a big dose of N2O.
Used a Crane "FireBall 326" F326-2 solid cam slightly more advanced...
had a Crane Gripper HT 284H 218-230 112 cam but the big crane solid was great on nitrous 7000+rpm
And a similar Edelbrock Torker II low rise single plane and 750VS