Pushrod shape

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BOOT
Guru
Guru

Re: Pushrod shape

Post by BOOT »

Geoff2 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:07 am Very interesting topic.
I believe a square section 3/8", 0.060" wall thickness pushrod, would be stiffer than a round 3/8", 0.060" pushrod. But the square one will be noticeably heavier.....
Where the round section excels is it's ability to resist twisting compared to square or rect section. But this not an issue with pushrods so maybe the round shape is a good compromise between weight & strength, hence it's use.
Missed my point kinda, if it's stiffer why not use a smaller square that has comparable stiffness to the round, long as it's stiff enough to not break.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Sparksalot wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:06 am Try going through engineering school if the original poster is serious about an accurate answer to the question. Yes, we know and there is absolutely no question about the right answer. His or her's were way off base.
I make no claims to be an expert in anything but if it makes you happy I have a degree in mechanical engineering. If you have details that explain what your saying plz share, I'm never afraid to change my mind or admit my idea was incorrect if the end result is better and I learn something.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

BOOT wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:08 am
Sparksalot wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:06 am Try going through engineering school if the original poster is serious about an accurate answer to the question. Yes, we know and there is absolutely no question about the right answer. His or her's were way off base.
I make no claims to be an expert in anything but if it makes you happy I have a degree in mechanical engineering. If you have details that explain what your saying plz share, I'm never afraid to change my mind or admit my idea was incorrect if the end result is better and I learn something.
read two posts up
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

[/quote

OK, I'll bite. WHAT is the correct answer??
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

engineguyBill wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:07 pm Round, double tapered pushrod is the strongest design - in my opinion. When was the last time you saw a square mast on a sailing ship? Or a square flagpole . . . . . . . ?
Wrong on the tapered vs straight pushrod. But let's not go there AGAIN! LOL [-X
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

Last time I checked, round tube has strength in all directions, square or rectangles maximum strength is directional.
Its all length vs cross section is it not?!?
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

Yeah, that is why I added the qualifier "in my opinion . . . . ." It seems to also be the opinion of the major high performance pushrod manufacturers, though.

Carry on . . . . . .
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

engineguyBill wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:33 pm Yeah, that is why I added the qualifier "in my opinion . . . . ." It seems to also be the opinion of the major high performance pushrod manufacturers, though.

Carry on . . . . . .
The ONLY time a taper should be used, is for clearance purposes where a straight will not fit. Any manufacture that has the tapered is stronger opinion should be avoided!!!
Stiffness is all about length vs cross section..........period! :wink:
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

square tube is not stronger than round as stated.
the idea of a fluted push rod is interesting, basically having external bracing makes it act like a much larger cross section, It may stiffen the push rod with minimal weight gain.
Nefario

Post by Nefario »

BOOT wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:08 amI have a degree in mechanical engineering.
I do too. For a given cross-sectional area (ie mass) a round member is stiffer in unconstrained buckling than a square member because it has a greater moment of inertia (for that given area). Also you might look up "double butted" bicycle frame tubing which has thicker walls at the ends, sort of the same principle as a double tapered pushrod.

But - I've had some ideas for low-mass constrained pushrods I'd like to experiment with....square might be easier to deal with... :D
Dave
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

I can tell you from experience with gun barrels, I know it is not the same as a pushrod...Some people claim that the fluting makes the barrel stiffer. It is not the same as a bead rolled into sheet metal. Any time you remove material from a barrel it gets weaker...I would have to say the same with pushrods. Only thing fluting would accomplish is to save weight.
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

Constrained pushrods has interested me also...If it was guided most of the way it wouldn't take much for a pushrod to work with high spring loads. Here's a thought...Have you ever seen the inside of a digital read out scale? A tube with a whole bunch of ball bearings inside. What if that same principle was used with pushrods. I know the whole part couldn't be ball bearings, the ends would need to be solid pieces capable of moving the duration of the valve lift without coming out of the tube or constraint. You could possibly make bent pushrods that would move out of the way of intake ports or whatever obstacle...Probably won't work, would be failure prone and put hundreds of ball bearings in the oil pan, but Its cool to think about stuff like that anyway...lol
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

cgarb wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:42 pm Constrained pushrods has interested me also...If it was guided most of the way it wouldn't take much for a pushrod to work with high spring loads. Here's a thought...Have you ever seen the inside of a digital read out scale? A tube with a whole bunch of ball bearings inside. What if that same principle was used with pushrods. I know the whole part couldn't be ball bearings, the ends would need to be solid pieces capable of moving the duration of the valve lift without coming out of the tube or constraint. You could possibly make bent pushrods that would move out of the way of intake ports or whatever obstacle...Probably won't work, would be failure prone and put hundreds of ball bearings in the oil pan, but Its cool to think about stuff like that anyway...lol

I think it's been done.
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

cgarb wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:34 pm I can tell you from experience with gun barrels, I know it is not the same as a pushrod...Some people claim that the fluting makes the barrel stiffer. It is not the same as a bead rolled into sheet metal. Any time you remove material from a barrel it gets weaker...I would have to say the same with pushrods. Only thing fluting would accomplish is to save weight.
Regarding the fluting, for it to work you would have to go larger on the od then flute to get the weight back down for it to end up stiffer
Nefario

Post by Nefario »

cgarb wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:42 pm Constrained pushrods has interested me also...
I’ve wondered how much column strength do you really need if the forces aren’t too great and it can’t go sideways? Piano wire? With a ball brazed on each end?

How about a really skinny pushrod with a short “twiddler rod” to follow the rocker arm? Valvetrain weight might be reduced considerably
Dave