harbor freight titanium nitride drill bits

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

j-c-c
Guru
Guru
Re: harbor freight titanium nitride drill bits

Post by j-c-c »

This is what I do know about these gold HF bits, you must wear eye protection for any functioning eyes of the operator. No exceptions. [-X
amc fan
Expert
Expert

Post by amc fan »

I bought a set of their Drill Master left hand non coated... and they were not too bad. the bit locked in and unscrewed the broken fastener out without snapping . It was a 1/4- 20 NC in aluminum.
roc
Expert
Expert

Post by roc »

engineguyBill wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:42 am Years ago I made a promise to myself that I would never purchase cheap drill bits or saw blades. As I recall, this was about the same time that I promised myself to never date ugly girls, nor drink cheap liquor. I believe that these self-promises have saved me from a lot of aggravation over the years . . . . . . . .
Great one Bill! But if you drink the drink cheap liquor before dating the ugly girls, they turn out hot babes!

C'mon guys, please enlighten me, what is a good drill bit set out there? Norseman?
dhidaka

Post by dhidaka »

How about Chinese (import) carbide cutters and inserts for mill/lathe work? I have been tempted to try but have not yet.
Feedback anyone? :D :shock: :x :^o
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

Like Dave K. mentioned in a previous post, buy your drill bits and other quality tools from a tool distributor such as MSC, Travers, etc. These guys typically provide you with a choice of import or USA made products. I always pay the extra bucks for the USA made stuff, as it will last a lifetime in most cases.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

Irwin was good IMO, for store brands.
There is a company called "shop tool" here, 1000 page catalog, and prices reasonable.
I bought some carbide hole saws from "drills and cutters .com", NICE
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

modok wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:29 pm Irwin was good IMO, for store brands.
There is a company called "shop tool" here, 1000 page catalog, and prices reasonable.
I bought some carbide hole saws from "drills and cutters .com", NICE
I too, have had good experience with Irwin brand tools.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
fordified
Pro
Pro

Post by fordified »

Dave Koehler wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:37 pm The hansons always were crap. At least in my lifetime. I swear if they made a top quality tap they are only sending the seconds or thirds to the stores.
They don't cut. They rub.
Buy a quality tap from MSC or MCM or someone like that and you will be amazed.
That's true about the hanson taps. I couldn't wait to order one from MSC and got a hansen 1/2" tap from a local store. I started to use it and it was bent on the threads. I went back and had to look through two more to get one that was okay.
Zmechanic
Pro
Pro

Post by Zmechanic »

dhidaka wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:12 pm How about Chinese (import) carbide cutters and inserts for mill/lathe work? I have been tempted to try but have not yet.
Feedback anyone? :D :shock: :x :^o
Eh. Again, maybe for aluminum. Crappy import mills aren't that sharp and inferior steel, coupled with crappy import collets with a lot of runout, meaning it's basically only going to cut with one flute, ends up significantly reducing tool life.
roc wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:34 pm Great one Bill! But if you drink the drink cheap liquor before dating the ugly girls, they turn out hot babes!

C'mon guys, please enlighten me, what is a good drill bit set out there? Norseman?
Cle-line, Cleveland, Chicago Latrobe (not to be confused with the Chicago rip-off HFT line). You'll pay for them, too, though.
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

I've had good luck with Norseman magnums, I like the plastic roll holder Vs the metal flip holder.
Plus the ladies love the gold magnums.
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:17 am I bought some and the tip was actually sharpened with a left handed angle but, the shank had a right twist.

Incredible ...
Wonder how many sets of those special drills they made, wonder if any made it into any special hands that tried to drill holes for hours.
ClassicComp
Expert
Expert

Post by ClassicComp »

Bob,what are you drilling?
results speak for themselves
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

I personally call this junk retailer "Harbor Fright"

Most of the problems I have had eith drill bits and drilling over the years continued until I learned that when drilling all kinds of metals the speed of drilling must change depending on what is being drilled, the drilled hole should begin with a smaller pilot hole drilled, I should not force the drilled hole, patience! And I should sharpen my bits as needed, bits do dull with use and always use a proper lubricant depending on whats being drilled.
This had to be drilled early into my brain and that drill bit has gotten a workout over the years ! Ha
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

englertracing wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:08 am I've had good luck with Norseman magnums, I like the plastic roll holder Vs the metal flip holder.
Plus the ladies love the gold magnums.
Only when they can be fully extended.
poboyengineering

Post by poboyengineering »

I have to wait till the first of the new year, but I'm going with Cleveland this time. Spendy, but willing to pay up for some quality metal. Getting the speed and feed right makes the cheap ones usable and the good ones a joy. Learning to sharpen drills made my life a lot easier.