harbor freight titanium nitride drill bits

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Jagdpanzer
HotPass
HotPass

Re: harbor freight titanium nitride drill bits

Post by Jagdpanzer »

I have full Hertel drill index acquired many years ago that are all original that I use for my own work. I also have a HF set I keep around for my kids and buddies to use several of which have been replaced.
A good set drills is an investment that with proper care and use will provide many years of excellent results. Important to learn how to properly sharpen. You will never be satisfied with poor quality drills afterwards.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Jagdpanzer wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:37 pm..for my kids and buddies (see below) to use several of which have been replaced...
I hear ya. Over the years I've replaced a ton of buddies. Still on the original pair of kids though... :D

Re the mortality rate of lent-out tools, every time I use my 1/2" drill motor I'm reminded of my a**hole! neighbor who borrowed it (from my wife, he wouldn't have got his hands on from me!) the day after I got it (Christmas 1967) and managed to bend the shaft just enough to be irritating but not enough to scrap it.. :evil:
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

My Dad was an old-time tool & die maker, served his apprenticeship back in the 1930's. The taught me the fine art of drill bit sharpening. There is a lot to it and it can be done right or wrong. A properly sharpened drill bit is a pleasure to use . . . . . .
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
redliner
Expert
Expert

Post by redliner »

engineguyBill wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:26 pm My Dad was an old-time tool & die maker, served his apprenticeship back in the 1930's. The taught me the fine art of drill bit sharpening. There is a lot to it and it can be done right or wrong. A properly sharpened drill bit is a pleasure to use . . . . . .
Very true! I was taught years ago as a kid, by the town blacksmith. Proctor Lind. A big old Swede may he rest in peace! He put two nuts together and said thats the angle you want and then showed me how to sharpen it. I was just a lad, in past years I applied his teachings many times.... I even took a busted bit and sharpened it like new.... twin ribbons curling off the flutes...
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

My way long gone old Blacksmith Buddy also taught me how to sharpen drill bits! Back in the early '60's or so.

Crow's Blacksmith Shop, Atlanta, MO. Donald and his wife took to me like a 2nd Son. I dearly loved both of them.

pdq67
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Not only are the twist drills inadequate....
HFDRILL.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019